• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 tr6 wiper motor wiring

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
there are five posts on the th6 wiper motor that i ordered from moss to install...with modification....in my 1959 austin healey. i am trying to have a two speed wiper that is faster than the very slow one speed healey motor.can some on tell me what each post on the wiper motor accomodates? thanks in advance for any help!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's a little hard to explain, so I'll start with a snippet from the Dan Masters wiring diagram.
UNTITLED_1.jpg~original

The green wires are switched and fused power from the ignition switch (hot whenever the ignition is on). The U/LG and R/LG wires are power to the wiper motor, the dash switch connects the 12v input (from the green wire) to either R/LG for low speed or U/LG for high speed. That (and the ground) is all it takes to make the wiper motor run.

The other wires are to implement the park function. When the dash switch is "Off", it connects the N/LG wire to the R/LG wire. When the motor is away from the "parked" position, the park switch inside the motor connects 12v (from the green wire) to the N/LG wire. So the motor will continue to run until it reaches the park position, and the park switch opens.

That's a bit of a simplification, but covers the essentials. However, don't try to leave the N/LG connected to the R/LG all the time. When the motor reaches the park position, it actually shorts N/LG to ground to make the motor stop faster.

Last edited:
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
can i send a switched and fused wire to the motor and use a three position toggle switch as a ground. and manually park the wipers?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm not certain about that offhand, maybe someone else knows. It's a permanent magnet motor, so the motor would run backwards, which may or may not be a problem depending on what it has for a thrust bearing. And I don't know for sure offhand that the ground wire isn't also grounded to the case.

But you can certainly use an on-off-on toggle to send power to the motor and manually park the wipers. Or if you would rather give up low speed and keep the park function, I think there is a way to do that as well. Similar to this diagram, except use the high speed U/LG instead of low speed R/LG
figure8.gif

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
perhaps it might just be best for my non-original car to run a switched and fused power wire to my healey wiper switch and place a tr6 switch under the dash to control the wiper motor?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I don't know enough about your car to comment on that.

My approach would be something more like finding some sort of 3 position switch that would fit in the stock switch location and then adding relays as necessary to implement the TR6 switch logic. Modern 12v relays are cheap and reliable, just a few dollars each if you buy a bunch of them on eBay. (This link is just an example, not a recommendation.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PREMIUM-...hash=item58edc83443:m:mf1-Vuv6ZnvDshZMYIvQV_w

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I don't mean to muddy the waters but will throw this out anyway. I have a good working TR6 wiper motor and started going down the same road with my TR250. Between the custom mount I would have to fabricate for the motor and the different switch and wiring I gave up, as it seemed getting the stock set up to perform better was an easier solution.

My car and probably some others have a two speed motor that looks the same as the one speed on your healey, I think there are less differences in the wiring too. Also I believe somewhere there is an article that suggests a heavier gauge wire to the motor will improve performance.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There was also a discussion recently on how to convert the earlier (wound field) single speed motor to a 2 speed setup. I haven't tried it myself, but the theory is sound and copies the same setup that Lucas used. The mod is simple, and reversible.

You could even use the same technique to make the motor always run faster (and not have to worry about bringing out the low speed connection, wiring it to the switch, etc.)

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i have a suggested wiring diagram from another forum. i am in the process of bench wiring the motor and switches to see if it works. also i am considering fabricating a mount for the motor on the passenger side of the car as the healey mount is not friendly to the tr6 mounting strap. it does seem to be a much bigger project than i thought!!! i can certainly understand glemons point of view.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
per the below drawing i bench wired the motor and it functions on hi speed and low speed. im not sure about the park feature but i would think that i would work also. i will mount the motor on the passenger side as opposed to the healey drivers side mount. i still have to fabricate a mounting platform for the motor and locate a suitable spot for the relay and lo-hi speed toggle switch. i will use my original on-off dash wiper switch to turn the wipers on and off. a big thank you to you guys who had ideas and thoughts and especially fred on the british v8 forum!

Attachments

• IMGP9870.jpg
    IMGP9870.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 168
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well i have the wiper motor installed and wired per the above diagram. but.....i have probably 20 degrees too much sweep. i read that different gear wheels are available . where would one inquire about different gear wheels. or, could the actuating arm be shortened to reduce the sweep/ any help or suggestion is appreciated. thanks in advance!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The sweep angle is set by the location of the pin on the big gear inside the motor, and the diameter of the wheels in the wheelboxes. Both are pretty tough to change (although I'm sure it could be done with enough determination).

Someone posted recently that they bought a replacement gear from Moss, but it showed up as a 140 degree, probably what you have already. Might be worth checking, though. Usually the sweep angle is stamped into the top of the gear, visible if you remove the top cover.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks randall. i was told that the tr6 is 115 degrees and that the mgb gear drive is interchangeable. it is supposed to be 105 degrees. ill try moss today and inquire about the mgb gear. i will remove the gear i have and check what degree it is labeled. thank you for your comments.