• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Which exhaust mainfold?

I just bought a nice restored HIF4 setup on ebay... I know exhaust manifolds changed over the years, which one will I need to go with this setup?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You'll need one to fit a '72-'74.

OP
kennypinkerton
Will the 12Hxxxx number on them tell me which ones I'm looking at? I see many on ebay, 12H709, 12H3911, etc, where the date either isn't listed, or the seller says 1962-80, lol.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I believe the one you want is the 12H3911. Will have to double check that.

OP
kennypinkerton
I've been searching (off and on) all day... where would I find that exact info? It's not in any of my catalogs. I feel kind of silly that somehow I have limited myself to something only made for 3 years. My luck, lol. I hope hif4 carbs were the way to go over hs4. I guess anything would be better than the restrictive (and incomplete) zs setup I have now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
go with a header, better flow and easier to find.

OP
kennypinkerton
They probably are, but steel rusts, SS is expensive, and I can get a cast iron manifold for about $100 shipped to me that still flows 100 times better than the abomination of a manifold that was on the 77.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
go with a header, better flow and easier to find.

According to most, the factory manifold is actually as good as it gets. Keeps heat down in the engine bay and is quieter. Also, less chance of rust-through. And cheaper. They pop up on ebay fairly often.

Here's one; needs studs, but they all do: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Good-...ash=item465d7482e8:g:CDUAAOSwNsdXRfEx&vxp=mtr

'nother one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-MGB-EXH...ash=item1a23be089b:g:a5oAAOSw2xRYehR7&vxp=mtr

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've been searching (off and on) all day... where would I find that exact info? It's not in any of my catalogs.

The 12H3911 is what came on my '73, and when the header I put on it when I rebuilt it dies, it's going back on. :wink:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only thing you can do to a B manifold to make it a little better, is to polish the inside and ceramic coat it. The original manufacture did a wonderful job on the design, it's as near perfect as it gets and the only reason to abandon the original manifold is weight, as in racing, every ounce counts. PJ

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can use either exhaust manifold. Just make spacers to make up the difference in thickness. Quick easy way is to cut a couple of thick washers in half...or stack thinner washers if needed. Superglue will hold them together while installing them Once the nuts are tight they won't go anywhere...

OP
kennypinkerton
Thanks guys.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kenny,
Marvs manifold looks great, but if it doesn't work out try Michael Powell at Bell Auto in Northport, AL.
Rut