• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wiper motor upgrade to two speed

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
does anyone know of a suitable substitute for the healey wiper motor...100-6...that has two speeds and perhaps more power. i did a search and so a mention by randy of an mgb motor. and, on another forum i was told that a tr6 round motor was a direct replacement. the 100 six is more of the square type motor which leads me to think that the round motor would not work. i drive my car year round...v8 conversion...so original is not a major concern. my wipers work! but, at one speed...slow...they are not suitable for interstate travel at 70 plus miles per hour. any help is appreciated. i could go with an aftermarket kit but would prefer not to have to purchase and customize to the healey ...but if i have to, i will!

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
https://www.bpnorthwest.com/mini/cl...tr250-tr6-spitfire-68-to-80-gt6-68-to-73.html
wiper motor that I have on my mini. two speed. Slow, and not so slow. It will fit on the Healey hardware but you have to buy a new mounting hoop that is round to fit the motor. Be aware< The plastic wheel under the cap have a degree set to them. It tells the wiper how far to travel. Your current wiper wheel will most likely transfer to the new motor. Most of them do not come with the wiper wheel. You would also need a new switch, and wire pigtail. All these parts are available on most mini parts websites.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Although I applaud your USING your Healey, I can't remember hearing a wiper upgrade question before. Most, including me, tend to drive in nice weather and don't expose their Healeys to much rain that would require a faster wiper. The use of RainX or the like has always been sufficient to address the occasional inconvence of an unplanned shower encounter.

Many many years back when my Healey served as my daily driver, I did feel I could breath harder then the defroster (heater) fan blew and replaced the blower's motor (installing it in the original housing with the original squirrel cage) with one salvaged from a wrecked Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible. The result, I now have a defroster and a whistling sound from the dash vents.

I appreciate the Healey's wipers do not normally function with enthusiasm but most have been idle for years and suffer from a lack of lubrication. I brought my blower experience up as I wonder if having the original motor rebuilt and the wiper mechanisms lubricated would not be sufficient to address your issues. Yes, you can replace the original motor with a 2-speed unit, however, by addressing and testing the needs of the original motor, you will be more familiar with what will be needed in a motor replacement as well as knowing it will be installed into a lubricated and properly functioning wiper system.

All the best and please keep us informed of your progress,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
https://www.bpnorthwest.com/mini/cl...tr250-tr6-spitfire-68-to-80-gt6-68-to-73.html
wiper motor that I have on my mini. two speed. Slow, and not so slow. It will fit on the Healey hardware but you have to buy a new mounting hoop that is round to fit the motor. Be aware< The plastic wheel under the cap have a degree set to them. It tells the wiper how far to travel. Your current wiper wheel will most likely transfer to the new motor. Most of them do not come with the wiper wheel. You would also need a new switch, and wire pigtail. All these parts are available on most mini parts websites.

Very good information thanks for posting

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
all my wiper system is in good condition and i will cleasn everything while i have the entire works on my work table. i did order a tr6 wiper motor which is a two speed. i will swap out my wiper motor gear and arm and place in the tr6 housing. the rest of the wiper system should just screw onto the tr6 motor and drive housing. the tr6 motor will require that i fabricate a mounting on the original healey mount. if it works or doesnt i will post my results. as for the defrost i have a vintage air heater and defrost to mount. it comes prewired and is very compact. i have used this system in a healey kit car with excellent results.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well this has been a long drawn out process. i have the motor and it will attach to the healey drive mechanism for the wipers. i hope to get the proper gear and actuating arm today. but, i can already see that the healey mounting platform is not very friendly to locate the tr6 motor. it would be much easier to mount on a fabricated shelf on the passenger side. do the right hand drive cars mount the wiper motor on the right side. it would seem that the wipers would work just fine if the motor was relocated and much easier to mount. any comments appreciated.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Sorry but I think you are one of the first...if not the first...to make this conversion. I must say I do admire your flexibility in being able to work in the necessary position to access the wiper motor.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yeah...at 77 years of age it aint that easy ! im most likely going to fab up a new mounting platform and place it on the passenger side. otherwise i most likely will have to cut up the stock location mounting and redo it! im in the process of making sure that the proposed wiring diagram i have will work as i want it to. the colored diagram is the original tr6 wiring and the drawn one is the proposed....not by drawing.....a big thank you to fred on the british v8 forum.

Attachments

• mgb-wiper-washer-od-wiring-diagram.png
    mgb-wiper-washer-od-wiring-diagram.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMGP9870.jpg
    IMGP9870.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i bench wired the motor per the pencil drawn out wiring diagram and it does work. now to determine a suitable mounting platform on the passenger side similar to the mounting on the drivers side.

Last edited:
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks bbh. i was able to purchase the strap and pad from moss. i appreciate your comment.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i got the mounting completed and the motor mounted and attached to the healey wiper tubing and wiper boxes. the wiring works other than the park feature that probably needs adjustment. the tr6 motor comes with a 115 degree gear drive which is too much for the healey windshield. i ordered a 105 degree drive gear this morning from moss. keeping my fingers crossed that it will be good for the healey windshield. and, i mounted the motor on the passenger side with the motor pointing toward the front of the car. anxious to receive the new 105 degree gear.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You might be able to pull the drive gear out of your old wiper and it will fit into the new one. I just upgraded the arms and wiper blades on my mini. The original type had too much flex and just layed over. Did not remove water. The new arms fit modern blades you can buy at any auto parts store. So far they stay upright, but I need to test them in a rain. I am NOT going to wish for more rain for Northern California just to test my wipers.

Jerry

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
no the healey drive gear will not fit the tr6 housing. the healey drive gear is much larger. i was hoping the same but no way!!!! thanks for the tips.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i got the 105 degree gear drive yesterday evening and installed it this morning. that did the trick and that degree sweep works fine with the healey windshield. i was told that the mgb motor is the same as the tr6 with the exception of the gear drive of 105 degrees versus 115 degrees. i do not have the park feature working yet but i am not really concerned about that. and, i can truly say that this was one of the most aggravating projects i have ever undertaken...

RAC68

Darth Vader
Congratulations on your achievement. One thing the Healey will require of its owner is Stamina. The most aggravating project you have undertaken, I am surprised and would find it difficult to compare and narrow down to my top project contender for that award. Still and all, you accomplished the objective of having a multi speed wiper installed and even relocated it to the passenger compartment.

Good Job ... Pictures?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ray, i think that it was so aggravating because i was having to squeeze into the footbox areas of the car and do most of the work on my back. very little room to move ones arms and my trouble light was always in the wrong place. tools were always out of reach and getting into position was very difficult for my 230 pounds of 77 years of age! might of been much easier 20 years ago!!! i will try to get a picture or two!