• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Welcome to Social Security - your wait time is

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Don't all you retirees just hang out watching daytime TV and complain about the mail being late?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Greg said:
Don't all you retirees just hang out watching daytime TV and complain about the mail being late?​

:lol:

Yeah, whadda life, huh?

Basil: Did they not offer you a "call-back" option?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't all you retirees just hang out watching daytime TV and complain about the mail being late?

Yes.

And get off my yard!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've called them just once before. They offer to call you back (often in 45 minutes), but that worked well. They did! And better yet, I spoke with a really knowledgeable person!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"I am the doctor... let me touch you here and there."

Cherry Weasel

For a less onerous listen, I can be persuaded. But it's only Tuesday. :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So I'm on hold with Social Security and my estimated wait time is 45 minutes! Arrgg

Back when we moved to the USA I came with an R1 (religious workers work permit) - took me 20 minutes and $20 at the border. (with substantial documentation) the rest of the family came with R2 permits. Shortly after we arrived SWMBO got a job that required her to change R2 to R1 - went to the immigration office (Orlando) waited in line, got to the information desk only to find we could do it for $170 dollars (plus same for Son who hadn't got his R2 when he crossed the border - don't ask) and 6 months to process, OR they could leave the country - re-enter 20 minutes and $20 at the border easy peasy.

Guess whihc we chose?

Well, Southwest was having a 2 for 1 sale so, SWMBO & son flew to Buffalo, rented a car, left the USA turned around and re-entered, got their permits for less money (including flight and rental) than the other option AND in less time than it took us to get to the information desk in the first place - from when I dropped her at the Orlando airport!

And yes, Canadian bureaucracy is just as bad.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My wife just updated her green card ("resident alien" registration) and I think it cost $400, or was it $600! And quite by coincidence, she's finally going to get her US citizenship (but that won't happen in time for the alien registration expiration). She's a "British subject."

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My wife just updated her green card ("resident alien" registration) and I think it cost $400, or was it $600! And quite by coincidence, she's finally going to get her US citizenship (but that won't happen in time for the alien registration expiration). She's a "British subject."

My daughter-in-law is from the UK and it took around a year for her papers to come through. I love to listen to her talk, she hasn't lost any of her British accent! :highly_amused:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My wife has lived most of her life here so she really doesn't have an accent... though occasionally she says things in ways that make people wonder. When we re-visit England she pretty quickly adopts some accent.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My daughter-in-law is from the UK and it took around a year for her papers to come through. I love to listen to her talk, she hasn't lost any of her British accent! :highly_amused:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Now that was a whole other issue - we moved January 2002 - Post 9/11 the entire waiting time doubled! Got our green cards one month before we moved back in 2006 - and after we surrendered them - 6 years for it to be processed so that we didn't get asked every time we crossed the border. In the words of the Border Guard "Looks like they walked your Green Cards to Nebraska to be processed." :grin:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
About the only nice thing, nowadays, is that one can maintain dual citizenship. She'll keep her UK passport and acquire an American one. That wasn't possible back in the 1970s (or earlier) when you had to renounce citizenship in another country.