• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Replacement Floor and Trunk Panel Quality

trmjr1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I acquired a 1956 TR3 this weekend. Need to replace floor and trunk panels. Anyone have experience with TRF or Moss Motors parts? Quality and fitment? Match the originals?

Thanks!

Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am working on a 1959 TR3. I have replaced the floors, sills and rockers. All from TRF. I used the upgraded sills and found them very good. The floors fit well and did have the captive nuts already welded on. The rocker panels did require some work to fit them. But that could have been due to the car I am working on.
No help on the trunk floor. Also some cheaper panels do not have the captive nuts welded on, so check on this.
Charley

OP
T

trmjr1

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. I had a Spitfire years ago and TRF was my main source of parts so looks like they will be for the TR3 as well.

Tom

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I am working on a 1959 TR3. I have replaced the floors, sills and rockers. All from TRF. I used the upgraded sills and found them very good. The floors fit well and did have the captive nuts already welded on. The rocker panels did require some work to fit them. But that could have been due to the car I am working on.
No help on the trunk floor. Also some cheaper panels do not have the captive nuts welded on, so check on this.
Charley
From what I cab glean, TRF is the only one in the US carrying the correct inner sills, which I think they designed/commissioned. Earlier versions, which seemed to be the same from most suppliers, were plainly incorrect in several ways. I don't know if others have caught on yet.
Floors have been made by several sources and with the exception of the captive nuts, all relatively easy to fit.
I think the same is true for the trunk floors and rear panels, very little difference between suppliers. Most will need some reworking, particularly on older cars.
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom,
I agree on the newer TRF sills. I used one on a car 10 + years ago and it did not fit correctly. I recall that the floor was almost an inch off in height. So when TRF came out with their newer version that they produced I gave them a try on this latest car. I was very pleased with the results.
Charley

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The sill problems may explain some of the issues I ran into on my car. Had blamed the PO but he may have done his best with what he had. There are 2 versions of trunk floor. One full width and the other is in 3 pieces, sides and center section as far as I remember.

David

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I used floor panels and the trunk (boot) floor panel from Moss. Both fit well and the floor panels came with the caged nuts welded in place. The trunk panel I used was one piece and looked as though there was no way to get it in there without cutting the panel. After about a half an hour of twisting an turning, it all of a sudden just sorta fell in. I must have had too much coffee that morning. Please note, the trunk floors are different between pre and post 60k cars. Also, the floor panel from Moss did not have the "L" bracket(s) for the rear, Hardura panel or the tabs for the wiring harness. My car is post 60k, and I bought these items about ten years ago, so YMMV.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Please note, the trunk floors are different between pre and post 60k cars. Also, the floor panel from Moss did not have .... the tabs for the wiring harness.

No matter how much I try to remember, even after 4 years, I find I still miss things like this. Thanks for the reminder, Art! Does anyone have a pic of the location of the wire loom tabs for an early car?

adcronin

Freshman Member
Country flag
John
I am quite sure I can help out with that information. Give me a day or two and I will provide narrative and photos.
Dan

badornato

Freshman Member
Country flag
after you finish the boot floor replacement be sure to install those little 3/8 plastic tubes that drain water from the exterior channel through the little 1/2 hole into the cavity of the rear fender.
the only place my TR was developing rust was in the trunk ... and always got water in the trunk when i wash the car.
finally figured out the problem was the lack of plastic tubes and water was draining in to the trunk (boot)

carpecursusII

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have purchased all the pieces, the best fit is as follows. Inner sills from TRF, floors from Moss or Rimmer, trunk floor (pre 60k) from TRF or VB. VB was actually stocking parts from TRF, at the time TRF was sold out with no restock date and VB had it in stock, it came with a TRF sticker still on it.

Country flag
Hi Tom. I'm in Chicago too. Ever need a hand, get in touch! Always glad to help out a fellow LBC enthusiast.

Country flag
And watch Cheftush's videos on YouTube. He's also a member here.