• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Made My Day!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
While visiting Friends in Rocklin,CA (East of Sacramento),
I was talking to Emily,the Daughter,who'd recently gotten her driver's-
license.
I asked her if she knew how to drive a manual transmission,
& she said "No".Then,I asked her if she wanted to learn in the GT,& she
said "Yes",so now I'm planning on that,while attending the British car meet
in Dixon in May.
There IS still some hope for this younger generation!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Congrats! A young'n I know wanted me to teach him manual shift in my ol' TR3.

After a few jerky attempts, he asked if he could just learn to shift, but not use the clutch.

:rolleyes2:

(He's the same guy who asked me "What are power brakes?"

catfood

Jedi Knight
Different world this side of the pond. No one learns on an auto box.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
still no cars with automatics in this house - darling daughter learned on stick - and is now teaching her friends - of course dad will have to pay for the clutch :rolleyes:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My kids both learned on sticks. Daughter had a VW Beetle, later a Mini; son has had various shift cars including a Porsche 944, a Fiat Spider and now, an Alfa Spider.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My old Ford Ranger we use around the place is a 5 speed stick, My 93 Chevy truck is a 5 speed auto, my new truck is a 6 speed auto and the car is a 5 speed auto. No need to mention what the TF is. I've driven enough sticks over the years, I get no thrill from them. I will say, every kid when learning to drive should have some stick time so they know what to do should the situation come up, it alone might entice the younger generation to develop some interest in preserving the old cars we fool with. :encouragement:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I will say, every kid when learning to drive should have some stick time so they know what to do should the situation come up,

I agree - I like stick though for city driving an auto box is fine - except I am cheap and standard cars tend to be about $1000 cheaper around here. OTOH I feel very strongly that every young person - but particularly young women should know how to drive standard if for no other reason than, then they should never find themselves in a situation where they are stuck and can't drive stick.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There is a large advantage to a stick shift, most car thieves don't know how to drive one and usually get caught and it's even better in a T series MG, as they don't even know how to start one! Double whammy! :highly_amused: