• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Air leaks and fast idle speed

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good evening,

I have a question about the fast idle speed on my 1974 MGB. It's equipped with an engine from around '71 or '72 with HS4 carbs.

The choke has always seemed a little tricky. I'll get it adjusted to the point that the car is idling around 1500RPM when cold with the choke pulled. I'll start driving and the engine will start to warm up a bit, though the pointer on the temp gauge will very much be at the left side of the gauge.

As the temp starts to creep up, the idle speed will rise as well.

I've been told that a rising fast idle speed is indicative of an intake-related air leak.

Is this true? If so, what's a good first step to take in finding and curing the leak?

Thank you,
-William

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A good "low tech" method is to use a length of surgical tubing (or other hose of similar I.D.) and with one end near an ear, move the other end around all the gasketed intake areas. DO NOT stuff the thing into an ear.

My British pal calls it a "listenin' pipe."

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A good "low tech" method is to use a length of surgical tubing (or other hose of similar I.D.) and with one end near an ear, move the other end around all the gasketed intake areas. DO NOT stuff the thing into an ear.

My British pal calls it a "listenin' pipe."

Might suck the brains right out of your head?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Can also use brake cleaner. When the leak is found, the idle will rise. Have used the pipe method for years, as well.
good luck.

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
But I was right in thinking that this issue is likely to be an air leak?

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can check for a vacuum leak easily enough, but I don't think you have a problem. It's normal for the idle speed to increase as the engine warms up. IMHO, a 1500 RPM cold idle is too high. Try setting it closer to 1000 RPM and see what happens...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree: And I believe a vacuum (air) leak would show itself as a rough idle that would smooth out and increase when the mixture is richened, as when spraying fuel of some sort (like brake cleaner as suggested above) at the leak's source.

Let us know what you discover.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You can check for a vacuum leak easily enough, but I don't think you have a problem. It's normal for the idle speed to increase as the engine warms up. IMHO, a 1500 RPM cold idle is too high. Try setting it closer to 1000 RPM and see what happens...

And this just jogged my memory. It took me a couple of years to realize that I needed to set the idel when the engine was hot - not cold. Then the choke could take of cold starts. So now, it idles bang on at 800 rpm - only when warmed up.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
:encouragement: Easy fixes are great! I once had a memory...I just can't remember where I put it...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lol. Good stuff.

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Problem is that going too much lower than maybe 1200 is tough. 1200 almost seems the lowest I could go without a bunch of rich-running chugging. I know the mixture is going to be rich, but where do you draw the line with the choke?

Adjusting the choke is, frankly, a pain compared to adjusting the regular idle and mixture.

Where on the B's tach would you estimate 800RPM to be?