• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3rd brake light again!

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I know this has been talked about at length on several threads, however, has anyone used the reflector brackets on the BJ8 to mount additional brake lights? To me it seems like it would work if you could find a light that would fit on the brackets. Seems like I read somewhere that someone had done it as part of his Healey up grades, but I don't remember where I saw it. If anyone knows please let me know.
thanks
tom

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Tom

I do believe that AH Spares sell what you are looking for - Part number LTG207 look them up on line, not clear if it a single one or the pair I have not followed it up yet.

Woops - I have read your post wrongly - the above lights are for fitting into the reflector locations on all other models not the BJ8 unless you have a very early transition one where they used up whatever was available. If you are going to use the reflector bracket to support an LED or any other light system and there are plenty out there, you will need to replace the reflectors, best make up some brackets for the brake lights and leave the reflector brackets alone. Pick up off the existing brake wiring and pass the cable through the grommet feeding the number plate light and run the wiring behind the bumper using stick on cable supports

On my BJ7 I am contemplating a third light as an LED strip on the rear bumper OR maybe two mounted off the bumper irons - not sure yet, just as you are considering

:cheers:

Bob

Country flag
Hi Tom

I do believe that AH Spares sell what you are looking for - Part number LTG207 look them up on line, not clear if it a single one or the pair I have not followed it up yet.

Woops - I have read your post wrongly - the above lights are for fitting into the reflector locations on all other models not the BJ8 unless you have a very early transition one where they used up whatever was available. If you are going to use the reflector bracket to support an LED or any other light system and there are plenty out there, you will need to replace the reflectors, best make up some brackets for the brake lights and leave the reflector brackets alone. Pick up off the existing brake wiring and pass the cable through the grommet feeding the number plate light and run the wiring behind the bumper using stick on cable supports

On my BJ7 I am contemplating a third light as an LED strip on the rear bumper OR maybe two mounted off the bumper irons - not sure yet, just as you are considering

Bob
Can't beat this for easy; 3rd brake light (l.e.d.) and license plate light incorporated into the frame. Rather than to mess around with adding diodes to the original brake-light circuits (early cars with combined turn-signals/brake-lights) I simply added a second pressure switch at the 3-way (now a 4-way) block where the rear axle flex-hose connects in the hydraulic circuit. Power is tapped off the fuel pump, only a few inches away.

12243552_10153807414378291_3864624425691214815_n.jpg

IMG_7774.jpg

OP
T

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thanks for the replys. this is what I was thinking of when I posted this. I had seen this article on line and was thinking he was using the reflector brackets, but instead the gentleman replaced the turn signal lights with a brake light assembly and made a combination extra brake and turn signal. You can find the article at www.astraldimensions.com , and then click on the Austin Healey link. I still think the bracket idea might work, but I'm still not sure how to do it.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just keep in mind that a 3rd brake light has to be mounted higher than the taillights, and brighter than tail or position lights to be legal.

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I find the newly fitted led brake light bulbs to be more than adequate, Keeps the tailgaters away unless they are wearing shades.��

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I've just bought one of these. I've not mounted it but have powered it up and it is very bright. I think I might mount it using a thin aluminum 90 degree bracket using the boot lid handle to secure it. It is quite versatile given the cost and for the cost it is worth a try. It can be wired for full width red brake light (high intensity or low, but why would you want low?), or you can use the outer LED's for amber turn signals and the middle for a brake light. I'm hoping that it will operate with my solid state turn signal relay...we'll see. Of course the brake light part of it will work with no issues and I won't cry if I can't use it for turn signals. That way I wouldn't need another pressure switch although there would be no redundancy. I'll at least try to get it wired this weekend to see if it will work for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiipro-Universal-Davidson-Flexible-motorcycle/dp/B01GJGCR9U/ref=sr_1_98?ie=UTF8&qid=1484258365&sr=8-98-spons&keywords=third+brake+light&psc=1

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I find the newly fitted led brake light bulbs to be more than adequate, Keeps the tailgaters away unless they are wearing shades.��

Is that a negative earth car you are driving or have you managed to find some positive earth bulbs at a reasonable price?

Bob

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Just a follow-up. The turn signals on the unit I listed above work just fine with a solid state flasher relay. I don't know if the added current draw in parallel with the regular flashers would upset the mechanical flasher relays. All I did to set it up is wire it into the harness connection in the boot that splits off to the two rear brake/turn lights.
'

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Bob, yes it is a positive earth and I sourced the bulbs from better car lighting (very helpful ) had a bit of an issue with the wiring for the flasher however took advice from one of Nocks technical articles and eathed the feed back to the P terminal
added an audible device (which they also supply) fed from the dash turn signal indicators and it all works really well.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Well, I feeling a little dopey as when I wired it in I did the turn signals first. Everything was fine. The brake light works fine until you turn on a turn signal which makes the whole thing flash. I am suffering from being an aircraft mechanic where everything has a circuit that is discrete and wiring things like this is a breeze. Truth be known, I've never been comfortable with the Brit. wiring diagrams for our cars. I can see why people have wired a 2nd brake switch now....I'm so embarrassed. I'll skip the turn signal function and just run a wire from terminal 5 on the flasher relay up front directly to the hot wire for the led bar and ground the led bar in the boot as I have already done. It should at least give me a brake light. Over and out.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Jon--

I ordered the HD light strip that you suggested and expect to get it Tuesday. I plan to mount it discretely to the hardtop below the rear window.

I saw that the strip has turn signal capability but because I have electrified my reflector pods and use them as turn signal lights I plan to use the strip as a 3rd brake light only. It's one thing to have a high tech auxiliary light on a Harley but in addition to the wiring issues you raise I think that would look a bit much on a Healey.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Yes, I finished wiring it off the flasher relay and it works well as a brake light. Even though it has the turn signal ability I wanted the brake light function more and I would have had to do some major reconfiguration to make both work. The closest I could get was to use the "short" brake light and wire both turn signals. The result was when you had the brake on and a turn signal you get the flashing signal selected, the center brake light LEDs and the opposite turn signal on steady with no flashing. That would probably be OK but it might confuse the populace. It would be pretty easy to run a wire from the flasher relay to the base of the wind screen with a 2 pin connector that you plug in when the hard top is on.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On my BT7, I envisioned adding a mechanical switch at the brake pedal and wiring it to an LED strip attached to the cockpit surround, or to the rear of the OEM style luggage rack. It would be a separate circuit independent of the pressure switch. I know it's going to mean some exposed wiring if I use the luggage rack, but it will probably be the most visible.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Conclusion:

I ordered the Wiipro third brake light that Jon (Roscoe) suggested

https://www.amazon.com/Wiipro-Unive...r=8-98-spons&keywords=third+brake+light&psc=1

and installed it this morning.

I attached the LED strip to the bottom of the hardtop via the 3M sticky tape that is glued to the back of the bar and after drilling a small hole in the base of the hardtop I fed the wire through base and into the boot area through one of the holes for the small chrome stay that picks up the tonneau cover and soft top bars, then into the brake light circuit.

The light bar is visually unobtrusive and the LED's are quite bright and a definite enhancement.
See thumbnails.

Attachments

• thirdbrakelight.jpg
    thirdbrakelight.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 3rd brake light.jpg
    3rd brake light.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 154

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Jack--

I like the feel of the car with hardtop on whether good or bad weather and though I have no issues yet I really have had my dose of UV exposure and don't need more.

However if I chose to remove the top since it is so light it takes but five minutes and one person to remove/replace and it would only require cutting the two wires leading from the teed-in leads off the brake light circuit to the light. I would have used disconnects but they would be too large to pass through the hole for the stay.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just keep in mind that a 3rd brake light has to be mounted higher than the taillights, and brighter than tail or position lights to be legal.

I'm not aware, have not heard of that. Is that state specific?
Can you provide a link or document that says that?

I'm aware one can not have any blue lights.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Sound like good advice to me. N 3rd brake light might as well serve as a visible tail running light too Mine does