Thread: Unbuilt kit

Classifieds for members to buy/sell British Car Cars/ Parts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unbuilt kit

Interested in a relatively complete , unbuilt or partially build Lotus 7 type car, must be on the eastern half of the country ! Thanks, Bob
    Thank goodness the MG is finally gone, replaced by another Corvette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Unbuilt kit

I've got a Tamiya kit for sale - I think it's 1/25 scale.
    I'm sure you meant the full sized one.
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hi Bob,

Be real careful if you're trying to street register it in Massachusetts. I've looked into building a Factory Five Daytona Coupe as well as a LoCost Seven. Each presented significant hurdles, particularly regarding emissions, that you have to jump over. Obviously, no big deal if it's going to be a track only car. If you are thinking of a street car, though, PM me and I can point out some of the issues if you are not familiar.

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I built a FF5 about 15 years ago and I agree it was a bit more red tape than I expected. At the time the RMV DEMANDED that the title and registration paperwork had very precise wording so as not to throw up any red flags. Back then I believe that that "loop hole" had a limited life span. I'd be curious what people are doing now.

Now, as far as importing a car, I think the border control people are the first line of resistance and if you're lucky enough to get past them the EPA delivers the knock-out blow. In my opinion if I could get the car into Mass the Mass RMV would be relatively simple.

There are currently several low mileage Lotus 7 clones on Ebay UK selling for anywhere from 5000 to 10000 pounds and with the current exchange rate doesn't burn too bad. Importing a car as a 25+ year old replica is the easiest/best way but I'm afraid to risk that much money without a guaranteed successful outcome.

A friend recently told me that there is a "once in a lifetime" waiver for bringing in a non-conforming car but i think he was whistling DIXIE. If anyone has first hand knowledge and or experience doing this I'd love to hear about it.
    Thank goodness the MG is finally gone, replaced by another Corvette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The rules have changed substantially since 2012 for kit cars in Mass. Folks seem to have had good luck talking to this guy to get the straight scoop on what's required by Mass.
    Paul Davis
    MassDEP/IM Program Branch Chief
    617.292.5530 - fax
    Paul.Davis@state.ma.us
    web: http://www.mass.gov/vehiclecheck

Apparently he's a decent guy willing to help enthusiasts through the morass of regulations. I'd probably start with him to see what you can register in Mass., then work backwards to USCBP to see what you can bring in. I know there's a general 25 year rule for importation of vehicles, but don't know how it relates to replicas.

Rick