• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Gasoline fumes and winter storage

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I'm putting the TR3 away for the winter and now have, for the first time in my life, an insulated garage with heat. The problem, which was never a problem in previous drafty and cold barns, is the fumes from the TR3.
I've pretty much ruled out leaks and fixed the one I did find.
I am quite sure the culprit is the vent. I get a good whiff if I put my nose near the bottom of the vent tube. The tank is close to full, but not overly so with 60 or so miles since fill up.
Do I just ignore this? Drain the tank and system? Plug the vent or put some kind of charcoal filter on it?
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I plugged mine years ago; as it dumps raw fuel on the road when you make a hard left turn. More recently, since I was working in that area anyway, I removed the tube and banjo entirely, and plugged the hole with a short bolt & washer.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I plugged mine years ago; as it dumps raw fuel on the road when you make a hard left turn. More recently, since I was working in that area anyway, I removed the tube and banjo entirely, and plugged the hole with a short bolt & washer.
Interesting. I assume, then, that there is sufficient venting through the cap.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Interesting. I assume, then, that there is sufficient venting through the cap.
Tom
That may vary. Certainly no problem with the cap I have. Could be an issue if yours doesn't have the little hole (but it would be easy enough to add)

Gastankventholeincap.jpg~original

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I wonder if a small hole in the cap will be less stinky than the vent pipe. Also wonder if I there is any reason I couldn't just plug the vent for storage.
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom,
I plugged one of mine that was smelling. Strangely enough, not all of them smell. Maybe the ones that don't smell are already plugged?
Charley

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Charlie. Good to know.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Certainly no reason you can't plug it for storage. But even without the hole, the cap is not air tight. That steel disc (the rusty bit in my photo above) has some clearance to the post it mounts on (so it can move as you close the cap), which means air can get through the gap between disc and post.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Certainly no reason you can't plug it for storage. But even without the hole, the cap is not air tight. That steel disc (the rusty bit in my photo above) has some clearance to the post it mounts on (so it can move as you close the cap), which means air can get through the gap between disc and post.
Thanks, Randall. That's what I saw when I looked at mine but was going to check some spares to see if it was missing a seal. You save me the trouble. The plug, for what it's worth, will go in tomorrow. Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...shouldn't there be a circular rubber seal/gasket in that gas filler cap in...

I think I see it in the photo - it is black and sits in a groove in the lower half of the fitting. The metal lip on the hinged half presses into that seal when closed. Of course over time that seal can get rock hard and less effective.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Right. The seal is there, just somewhat faded and hard to see. The photo isn't the best either; the flash on my old camera tends to wash out colors pretty bad and it was after dark when I took that shot. I have a better camera now, but I prefer to use the old one around the garage so I'm not out much if it gets damaged. The new one also lacks "macro mode" and sometimes has trouble focusing on extreme closeups.