• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vintage Ford Cortina

Paul_1

Freshman Member
This little piece of ford history is the actual ford cortina that belonged to the managing director of the ford manufacturing plant in Dagenham London. He kept a log book to record not only the service history but every time she was refilled with fuel. Still running smoothly 2016. She's for sale for £5,000. FordCortina.JPG

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ford Cortina MKIII - I had a '72 in the same color,
except it was a 2 door.
I got to do a few parade laps around Laguna Seca
with it - what a blast! I thought I was going to scrape the
door handles off of it,as the suspension was so soft.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It was an absolute blast! I thought that they'd kick me out
for sliding the car around,& squealing the tires.
Sometimes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast,rather than
a fast car fast.It also works for the '67 MGB GT.

Old Northern

Freshman Member
I drove down to Richmond (Richmond in Sydney that is) and spotted this in the car park on my way to the supermarket. A rather early one judging from the indicators.

20170321_110002.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had 2 of the 1968 Cortina 1600Es, one in green and a one in red. Used the red interior and tranny in the red to convert the green from auto and white bad interior to black. Wish I had kept them. I was running out of room and was trying to sell. Had a guy say he wanted it but needed to drive home, so I switched fuel tanks and put in a new fuel line. He then backed out of the deal. A young kid came by and asked about it, let him drive it and he said he would like it for his wife. Gave him 2 hrs. to come get both cars and parts and he could have it for free. I have seen it occasionally, still runs. This was back in early 80s.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Where did you find TWO 1600E's in the US?
They were never officially imported here.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In St. louis area. My father-in-law bought the green one from someone local. I told him he had better find a parts car. He found the red one in Cahokia, Il. I got the green one running, then he wanted the weber down draught 2 bbl. put on the green. Fought me hard, but got it tuned. He then fidgeted with the carb and I woukd not fix it and wound up buying both. The local Ford dealer told him they were out of Canada and they had brought them down for a couple different people in 68. So we had them from approx. 79-81. The green one is in Freeburg, Il area sitting by a garage.

Old Northern

Freshman Member
If we're talking about past cars of our own, when I was in Scotland in the mid 1970s I was driving a 1962 Cortina (4 door with the 1200cc engine). It was held together with body filler and almost used as much oil as a two-stroke, but it got me around. I recall on one occasion I was driving on a motorway (I might have been going from Dundee to Stirling, but as it was over 40 years ago I'm not too sure) and decided to put my foot down and see what it could do. It started shaking violently when the speedometer approached 80, so I eased off. Later I checked and found the car had a maximum speed of 76 mph.

Here it is parked in the High Street in Edzell:

19640621309_15297bbcb7_b.jpg

Last edited:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In St. louis area. My father-in-law bought the green one from someone local. I told him he had better find a parts car. He found the red one in Cahokia, Il. I got the green one running, then he wanted the weber down draught 2 bbl. put on the green. Fought me hard, but got it tuned. He then fidgeted with the carb and I woukd not fix it and wound up buying both. The local Ford dealer told him they were out of Canada and they had brought them down for a couple different people in 68. So we had them from approx. 79-81. The green one is in Freeburg, Il area sitting by a garage.

Is it still there?I know people who would save it.
You can PM me about it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There WERE a lot of them.They were sold by Ford dealers here.
I've had more than my share,along with Corsairs,Consul Capris,& an Anglia 105E.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I always like the MkII and remember seeing these on the road as a kid. I know the Mark Is are supposed to be "the" Cortina to have, but they don't appeal to me like the IIs. They are on my "British Cars to buy when I win the Powerball" list.