• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cars for future appreciation

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Question - if you had $25,000.00 to buy one or more classic sports cars (no muscle cars) with a view towards future appreciation, in other words currently undervalued in your opinion, what would it or they be? Conversely, what would you stay away from?

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
My money and "future appreciation" are never used in the same sentence.
but I dream about an E-type.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think I'd stay away from British sports cars. Those of us who are into them are aging and at some point I think there's going to be a big sell-off with not a lot of takers. I'd focus on something that might appeal to younger folks now in their 30s or 40s. Maybe a Porsche Boxster or Cayman or BMW M Roadster. Do your research first though as each has some problems (IMS bearing for Porsche, differential mount on the Bimmer that will need to be addressed if not already taken care of). Frankly, I'm not a big fan of cars as investments but if you've got $25k to play with, at least you can get some fun out of these and you may have to hold them for some time before you see any appreciation.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Where would you put $25K today? Banks are paying less than 1%;stock are too risky;bonds will lose value if inflation comes back - at least buying one, two or 3 collector cars will give you some enjoyment along the way with the possibility of capital appreciation. Look at the prices some of these cars are bringing at auction. Look at Healey prices. MGA prices. Porsche prices!

Ferrari Mondial (any running model before the T with semi decent service records), Acura NSX, Lotus Esprit (a decently sorted 87 or up), Nissan Skyline GTR (r32's are being imported now, r33 are coming in a couple years), a good unmolested MkIV Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (getting very difficult to find one that hasn't been modified, and they can go way over $30k).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My sense is that there is a huge appetite for European Cars with American engines - One of the few deals left seems to be the Bitter. There is also a huge market for hot rods - especially early 40's 50's 60's conversions.

Pete

Early Land Rover Defenders? They're going out of production ..
MG ZR, ZX etc, fewer & fewer around.
TVR-Cerbera 4.5 Coupe 2d 4475cc with the current weak Ā£ it's in the mix of $25000 ish.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Old Packards! 30s and 40s. :encouragement:

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I don't think any car we think of as a ~classic sports car~ that is valued today for under $25K will appreciate significantly without some unforeseen external event - like a blockbuster movie that features a certain car. (e.g. Back to the Future).

Maybe an early Elan would be ok short-term if they're still available at that price. Longer term my money'd be on microcars and maybe a few everyday American & Japanese cars.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Old Packards! 30s and 40s. :encouragement:"

That would be cool. I also think old Cadillacs of the same vintage would do well.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Since the call was for sports cars:

240/260Z
Porsche 912 (IF you can find one that cheap!)
Porsche 914 (Ditto)
Karmann Ghia (Get one while you can!)
Early '70s Alfa Spider (Boattails are pricey)
Opel GT
MG T series (Though the really nice ones are getting out of the range)
Bugeye Sprite
Other "usual suspects" are already out of reach

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Various early VWs. It's amazing how they're rising in value.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I might be in the minority,but I can't ever bring myself
to buy any car as an investment.I buy what I like.Of course,I rarely
make any money on vehicles.

number6

Jedi Trainee
I'm thinking an MG WA or SA. Big salon cars always stand out.