• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old photo

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Some of you guys have seen these before. The black and white photo is what inspired me to make my 2013 cross country drive.

About seven years ago, I was paging through an old Motor Trend magazine.

View attachment 45063

I noticed an interesting photo in an article describing a coast to coast drive done in a Mercedes-Benz sedan.

View attachment 45064

At the time, I thought - that man sure looks familiar. And after a few seconds, realized it was my Dad, and the two young'ns are me and my brother, age around 8 and ten. The car was passing through Texas on its drive across the USA, and Dad took us to see it at a local Studebaker dealership.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the beginning of "Mac and Phyllis Take a Trip", which you see in my signature line below.

wow

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had forgotten - great memories and great story - thanks for the reminder!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Recognized th' photo before I read the post. Ya shoulda heard me laughin' from "up there", Tom!

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
That pic looks like it could be right out of a Rockwell painting.....
image.jpg

That's cool. Id bet good money I've never been in a magazine picture.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I remember seeing a photo of Mac and Phyllis clipped to the dashboard, but I don't remember ever seeing that picture in person. Did you bring it with you on the trip?

Keith

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Keith!

Yep - I showed you the photo right before I left, after we all enjoyed that excellent waffles breakfast. Mom and Dad's wedding photo accompanied me during the entire 7300 mile adventure. That's why I could finish the blog with "Mac and Phyllis *took* their trip".

T.

You mean you weren't Miss October 1976?

That would have been creepy as I was only 4 then. But who knows, maybe lol.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Keith!

Yep - I showed you the photo right before I left, after we all enjoyed that excellent waffles breakfast. Mom and Dad's wedding photo accompanied me during the entire 7300 mile adventure. That's why I could finish the blog with "Mac and Phyllis *took* their trip".

T.

I remember seeing the photo of Mac and Phyllis; I don't remember seeing the photo of your dad and you looking at the Mercedes.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Keith - the photo of me, my brother, and my dad was in Motor Trend magazine. I never had the original photo.

Hope that clears things up!

Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I found the original press pictures (B&W) of that trip,
at a local book store.I was going to buy them,& send them to Tom,but
was told that they wanted $100 for the four packets of them,but would
take $75. I might just pick up one of them.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That's great news, and a great find. Do all four packets contain the photos for the original M-B trip that was reported in the June 1959 Motor Trend?

Doug - thanks for the PMs!
Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes,I believe so.Started in LA.
Not sure how they ended up here.
They were in a collection of old brochures -
there was one for a DKW van.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Doug. This may be a different trip. The Motor Trend article says the trip began in Seattle.

Then San Francisco, then LA. Take a look at the attached M-B brochure, showing the route.

Tell you what ... if you can get all four sets of photos for $75, I'll repay you, and also cover postage to me.

Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will do - I'll pick them up on Monday.
PM me your mailing information.
I love it when I come across something
like this!I was downtown,& decided to go by,& see if
they had any automotive books.I went into the same
shop a while back,& they had a whole bunch of interesting
brochures,including one for an NSU RO80.
I also found a manual for the Ford 1965 DOHC
Competition Engine.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

You were right,the trip originated in Seattle,Washington.
I picked up all the pictures today (34 of them!).I'll try & get them
out tomorrow.
The coolest thing was that the bookstore owner told me
that he got them from Bill Carroll's estate (+ other various brochures).
Turns out that Bill lived in McKinleyville,about 15 miles North of here.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This is too cool! Please scan a few and throw them up after you get them Tom :cheers: and, once again, how great is it to be part of a forum that makes this possible.