• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member with a 1964 Austin FX4 Black Taxi Cab

Austin FX4

Freshman Member
Hello from Ohio. My first British car is no less than a 1964 Austin FX4 London black cab. This car has spent the past few decades in southern California and has dried up nicely in the warm sun with little rust in contrast to other 52 year old cars. At some point in the recent past, the three speed manual diesel engine has been swapped out with a V6 Chevy Buick engine that makes her fly at speeds unthinkable in London. That said, she will not be a race car despite her new capability. Of course the brakes have been redone as well to make sure she stops with all those new horses.

If anyone has knowledge (not to be confused with THE Knowledge) of replacing the well-worn tires (tyres) I am open to suggestions. I would really like to replace them with 2" or so white walls, but finding them in modern and safe radials has not been easy. Any thoughts?

Also, I am perplexed so far by a number of the dashboard toggle switches, most of which only make noise but nothing else when engaged. Does a map of the dashboard controls exist anywhere?

Finally, the heater was unhooked when they changed the engine and unlike California, Ohio gets chilly in the Winter. Ideas?

Thank you! Kevin Austin Taxi.jpgWP_20160926_18_18_41_Pro.jpgWP_20160926_18_17_37_Pro.jpgWP_20160926_17_59_52_Pro.jpgWP_20160926_18_18_23_Pro.jpgs-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That's a really cool car you have there! Welcome aboard! You might also want to post your questions in our "other British Car" forum (we don't have enough Austin owners here (yet) to have a separate forum.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Kevin! I would guess that there is likely a club in England that caters to these cars. A quick web search turned up the London Vintage Taxi Association. I'll bet that they can answer your questions, although I'd advise avoiding the subject of your engine transplant - I'd also guess that they tend to be a bit more "purist" in such questions.

Good luck!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum with your interesting car. Perhaps you'll qualify for muscle car meets as well as British car events. I've a 69 Herald originally delivered to Puerto Rico so the extra cost "optional" heater was omitted. I just don't drive it in cold weather. So far, the residual engine hear suffices on cool summer nights here in New Hampshire.
I had a boat with a slightly smaller version of the BMC 4 cylinder diesel engine used in the cabs. Mine was 25 HP and the cabs were around 40 I think. Not exactly overpowered.
At any rate, I'm sure you'll have some fun with the cab.
Tom

Last edited:
OP
A

Austin FX4

Freshman Member
Welcome to the BCF Kevin! I would guess that there is likely a club in England that caters to these cars. A quick web search turned up the London Vintage Taxi Association. I'll bet that they can answer your questions, although I'd advise avoiding the subject of your engine transplant - I'd also guess that they tend to be a bit more "purist" in such questions.

Good luck!

Beautiful Healey btw! Thanks Reid, I will check out the London Vintage Taxi Association and avoid the subject of engines! Cheers!

OP
A

Austin FX4

Freshman Member
It does have a V6 Chevy, so will at least win most Austin taxi cab races! I am hoping to drive the car year round, so I will consider a bit of climate control to supplement the heat coming through the firewall! Thanks Tom! Kevin

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:cheers: keep us posted!

Momonice

Freshman Member
Country flag
My husband passed away and left an Austin taxi cab to me. I’m looking to sell to a buyer who would appreciate it. It is a project car but it is in great shape. Please call 860-485-0253 if interested.