• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windows 10 Help

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So The evil empire is sending out a big patch...fix...service pack...update.....
Whatever they call it.
The computer has tried to download it multiple time and stops

Any chance that because my word 2013 program is fubar is the reason it won't finish.
Gets to about 75% and just spins after that

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Mine got downloaded on its own. Changed a few things and slowed my PC down even more. Why don't they leave well enough alone?
But - my laptop was not touched. Figure that one out.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I just had the major update - took hours - now my laptop won't "wake up" from screen saver, I have to close the lid, wait 30 seconds and then it usually works. Can't find any current documentation on google. this is my first truly frustrating experience - other than knowing I need more capacity.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mine updated and is running fine, no problems.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I just had the major update - took hours - now my laptop won't "wake up" from screen saver, I have to close the lid, wait 30 seconds and then it usually works. Can't find any current documentation on google. this is my first truly frustrating experience - other than knowing I need more capacity.

JP, I had the same "upgrade" happen to me a few days ago and after about 4 hours it was complete. My laptop slowed down considerably, almost like it was gagging, so I did a cold boot and everything seemed to pick up speed. I then ran a professional defrag/HD organizing program (which is not recommended if you have a solid state drive) and everything seems to be back to normal. I don't need or want all the extra programs involved, but MS just took over and did it's thing. Didn't know how to stop it or I would have. Why I like Linux so much, none of that BS! PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Anniversary Update". And MS is making it mandatory that the updates will be installed, like it or not.

Many folks are having the same hang-up issues with it. If you just ignore the thing while it's running the update, usually it will eventually load. Sometimes it will sit on a 75%~95% screen for a DAY or more. There are some device drivers it can't find and it will hang up. Lots of machines are downloading it simultaneously so the servers are being hammered.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got rid of my Office 2013 and went with2016 lets see if that helps
I can't imagine this thing just spinning for 2 days

D

Deleted member 8987

NOW you know why I figured out how and where to kill auto updates nine freaking years ago.
And I'm still running just fine.
I know it works on 8 and 8.1, as I have killed updates there, too. Been two, three years and NOTHING.

I know from earlier WinDoze products, the more updates and upgrades, the slower they get.

There
Are
NO
Mandatory
Updates
to
any
of
my
computers.

Period.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
This latest one just changed all my .doc files to .docx and now I can't open them from the Documents shortcut. They are all marked in red and when I click on them, I get a box telling me to upgrade to Office 2016 - at a subscription price of course. But my wife discovered that I could still access them by clicking on Office 2007 and then File which brings up the list of files without the red mark and I can open them. This situation stinks to high heaven. I needed those files for an upcoming closing.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I went away for 3 weeks... and nearly everything in the house was un-touched, except for the computer!!! Thankfully, I don't see a lot of nasty stuff with the last update.

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My brother - a computer geek from away back - just emailed me that Microsoft was being sued in a class action for what they have done to millions of users with Win 10. he told me a local auctioneer's computer was shut down 5 minutes into the auction when Win 10 was installed without his permission. Watch for any notice of the class action. I'm in.

Last edited:

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I wonder if you can associate the docx extension to default open in office 2007. I'm not sure how to do that in Win 10.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Greg - just right click a file with the docx extension, and change to Open With Word 2007 (or whatever). Check the "always use this app" box.

This works in Win10 as it did in 7 and earlier versions.

Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My brother - a computer geek from away back - just emailed me that Microsoft was being sued in a class action for what they have done to millions of users with Win 10. he told me a local auctioneer's computer was shut down 5 minutes into the auction when Win 10 was installed without his permission. Watch for any notice of the class action. I'm in.

They're whining that the updates will be forced so that they don't get sued over lost time and/or data due to hacking... meanwhile they are being sued over that very thing due to their own policies!

But I will assume the bevvy of lawyers tapped to defend against a class action suit would be preferable to having to pay for a plethora of lawyers to counter a multitude of individual filings.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm sure we all checked a small box in their licensing agreement that allows them to update and to not be liable for damages. It will be interesting to see if a lawsuit goes anywhere.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm sure we all checked a small box in their licensing agreement that allows them to update and to not be liable for damages. It will be interesting to see if a lawsuit goes anywhere.

Probably go nowhere but they still have to pay their lawyers.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Most companies have their own inhouse lawyers ,Mark.
But when it comes to court cases they also have an outside company to handle that
So it will cost money

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I see.