• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A rear leaf spring distance piece

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

I just begun disassembling my driver side rear leaf spring. (TR4A, non-IRS.)

The bolt attached to the distance piece broke out; i.e. the bolt that holds all the leaves together. See photo below.

Are the aluminum distance pieces still available? I plan to call TRF in the morning; Moss lists him as NLA.

Alternately I can just use a long bolt from the inside of the distance pace - fortunately it is hollow.

Thoughts? Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg

BL50

Bronze
Country flag
It's part number 142277, TRF lists it as NLS too. I might have one if you come up empty. Let me know and I'll look.

Brian

Last edited:

jmcfly

Freshman Member
The bolt isn't broken in the photo. That bolt doesn't have a hex head. The round end is to locate the aluminum spacer.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
jmcfly and Peter, you are absolutely correct, thank you! Looking through my photos, the distance piece is clamped between the spring and axle by the u-bolts.

On the passenger side, the bolt was sufficiently "captive" that I was able to assemble the spring (50 ft-lbs torque - I guessed at the value). This my surprise when the driver side came apart on disassembly.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Update; sorry to re-start an old thread. I am (finally) re-assembling my rear axle to the leaf spring, and I have a question:

The spacer block has a tab (or an "ear") to which the shock link connects; a bolt through the hole on the tab. On the passenger side the tab in the center of the block. On the driver side, the tab is slightly offset towards the center of the car. (Looking at the first picture in my original post, one can see the remnant of the shock link attached to the spacer block. The "tab" on the spacer block is not located in the middle of the block, rather it is located a bit towards the table. The picture is of the driver side spring; on the passenger side the tab is in the very center of the block. Hope this makes sense? I can take a better photo tonight to clarify.)

Will the standard shock links work?

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I found some better photos. The first is the driver's side spring, showing the offset tab. Note, the shock has been removed from the frame and is laying on the frame - so it looks a little "wonky". The second photo is a close-up of the first. And the third is the passenger side spacer block, showing the centered tab.

Thanks all! Hope everyone had a great weekend - I did, as I was wrenching a few hours!

Driver side block showing offset.jpgDriver side block showing offset - zoom.jpgPassender side block showing centered - zoom.jpg

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
sorry to resurrect an old post. I believe that the block with the tab centered is correct for both sides of the TR4A SRA. The block with the inboard offest was used on the TR4 with a different shock set up.

It also may be the case that late production TR4 SRA had a spacer block with a long stud coming out of the bottom to bolt the leaf spring to the spacer instead of relying on the cast "nub". Can anyone confirm?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...It also may be the case that late production TR4 SRA had a spacer block with a long stud coming out of the bottom to bolt the leaf spring to the spacer instead of relying on the cast "nub". Can anyone confirm?

Does this answer your question (late TR4, CT36536):

BauO5en.jpg

Cropped from the only photo I had handy - I didn't crawl under the car.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks George, but I meant to type late TR4A Solid Rear Axle (SRA). My car is CT 77156L, built around June 1967.

From what I can find there were at least three general types of spacer block used. Starting at TR4 #CT 23383 a spacer was introduced, with part numbers 137634 L/H and 137635 R/H. The shock link hole would be facing the front of the car and is "handed".

With the introduction of the TR4A solid rear axle at CTC50001 the spacer was changed with the shock link facing the rear. The same part was used on both sides, # 142277. This is the one that appears in the spare parts catalog.

Both of the spacers described above used a cast nub to locate the spacer on the axle tube and had a hole in the bottom that fit on a round headed bolt in the center of the leaf springs and the spring plate, as shown in your photo.

At some point late in the TR4A production another spacer was introduced with a bolt or stud protruding from the bottom that I believe extended through the leaf spring assembly and was secured with a suitable nut to the spring plate. The part number for this spacer appears to be 212225.

Below are photos that I found of the three types.

TR4A-spacer block.jpgTR4A-spacer block-3.jpgTR4A-spacer block-2.jpg

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I did some more searching and found the answer here: http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a/suspension/#rearsprings

This car according to site was built on May26, 1965, which is not exactly late production for a TR4A. As the photo shows below, and as described on the site, the spacer is indeed bolted to the leaf spring as can be seen in the photo below. The picture of the spacer block with the stud also appears to have originated on this site. Many thanks to its creator!rearspring_7978.jpg

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I removed the spacer blocks on my car today and found them to be the type with a stud running through the leaf spring, at least the one on the passenger side was that way. The one on the the drivers side was missing the stud and may have been modified at some point - this was also the side that showed evidence of movement causing a torque steer condition.

A good bit more on the subject here: https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/tr...is-rear-axle-movement-question.1694317/page-3