• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Salvaged Lotus Evora rebuild video series

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Found this channel on Youtube, and thought I'd share. He's currently rebuilding a Lotus Evora that was rolled and as a result an Insurance write off and salvaged.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That guy is NUTS!

...BTW, it appears the butt-end went out from under the driver first and made initial contact, spinning the front-end to the right and impacting curbing or berm, with enough velocity so that it caught and flipped the thing on its lid. Looks similar to the shell of the hard boiled egg I smashed for breakfast this morning.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think saying he's NUTS is putting it mildly. Some people have a lot of initiative, but little common sense. :highly_amused:

I watched one of the recent videos, and looks like he is actually getting it back together pretty well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That thing is carbon fiber. Lotus states any damage to the shell is considered structural and not repairable. That car is totaled.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can't pop rivet & duct tape it back together?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: That's about what he's doin'.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I wonder if the guy he sells it to will have enough common sense to do a proper research from Lotus and complete check out of the vehicle in question??? :rolleyes: PJ

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well, the last episode of the build went up yesterday. He did "bodge" some things, in the name of simplicity. Though, from watching the tear down and rebuild, seems the car was mostly aluminium and fiberglass. He also tore it down pas the point of factory recommendations to replace certain panels. He did opt for aftermarket rear spoiler, side gills/vents, front bumper and wheels, which spoil the look of the car IMO.

Personal taste aside, looks like he did ok: used OEM parts and bonding agents to glue it all back together. Overall it looks good from 5 to 10ft in the videos. Some of the shut lines look a little "iffy" to me, but that might be because of the use of an aftermarket body panel at the spot. And $27k - $28k spent total spent (carcass + parts, minus labor) to have an Evora to drive around... seems like a bargain. Though, if he goes to sell it, I doubt he'd be able to get $30k (let alone what he has in it) for a "salvaged" Evora that was involved in a roll over.