• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Across the Alps [France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and back to France actually.]

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I've mostly rebuilt my BJ7 with BJ8 engine and just finished the engine and gearbox, they'd both done about three hundred miles when my son and his wife borrowed it for a trip of a lifetime in late July and including Stelvio. At the moment it's going well, it crossed the Alps Thursday and yesterday did Turin and Milan. They were by a lake with lovely views last night and are heading up through Switzerland today. All a bit nerve wracking for a Dad, but quite a trip.
28029467773_ac9a0cc2b1_z_d.jpg

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Compliments, when you are at STELVIO Pass in the BORMIO city valley nearest are SANTA CRISTINA and the GAVIA Pass a very interesting and wild passSTELVIOplanimetria_20-p1.jpg the BLUE trace
Ciao

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
With Andrea's guidance, my wife and I did the Stelvio Pass about four years ago.What a blast it was. Unfortunately, it was after picking up her new BMW in Munich rather than in our Healey. I am envious that they got to enjoy that drive in your Healey. Someone should just have a Healey at the bottom of the mountains available to rent for the climb. I bet they would get a lot of takers!

OP
E

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
They were staying by Lake Como last night, hopefully some distance from the Clooney's, and today I think they're heading for somewhere in Switzerland. They've done over 1500 miles by now I'm guessing.

OP
E

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
They've done Germany, the Mercedes Museum, a Rolls-Royce museum, Luxembourg and are back in France now with friends.

Only problems so far has been poor quality points and a brand new "Lucas" overdrive solenoid failing. I've ordered another from SC Parts who have theirs made in Germany (where they're based). Much more expensive, but if it works it'll be good not to have the grief.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks like you did 'em a good job on the rebuild project. Congratulations. My wife and I and my daughter where in Switzerland and Italy some years ago. We drove from Zurich to Lago Maggiore, Italy then stayed a few days in Locarno. I'd love to do it again, this time in a Healey instead of an American SUV. The Alps are unbelievably beautiful. I guess I don't have to tell you that. But good job on the car.

OP
E

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
They've only 100 miles to go now, so 2,400 in total. It was rather nerve wracking at first because I bought the engine from the States "rebuilt". It was, incredibly badly and full of blasting grit, so I had to do it twice and my confidence was lost, then the overdrive packed up. We'd just rebuilt the gearbox too.

Very happy now, or will be midnight when I know they're back okay. It'll have been the trip of a lifetime.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Congrats on the car - and the trip! What a great adventure for those two.

Darn ... I feel another road trip coming on ...

Tom M.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They've only 100 miles to go now, so 2,400 in total. It was rather nerve wracking at first because I bought the engine from the States "rebuilt". It was, incredibly badly and full of blasting grit, so I had to do it twice and my confidence was lost, then the overdrive packed up. We'd just rebuilt the gearbox
Sorry to hearing your problems with the car, extensive touring with olds car can be problematic, In April I have a good trip from Italy -to South Portugal -I have NOT used my A Healey but this oldest, 25 years and more than 400000km
https://get.google.com/albumarchive.../AF1QipOo2voQUUCS0NKg62xVYKp5IfqDrmeR_cBvlVrl
Trip 6700 Km total -problems: 1 - changed the the rubber of the wiper blades
2014_0103_030905_002.jpg2014_0103_030909_003.jpg
Ciao

OP
E

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Andrea and everyone else, it was a holiday of a lifetime and 2,400 miles in a 53 year old car with only a failed overdrive solenoid, a loose cover on the overdrive and dodgy contact breakers is, I reckon, pretty good after so much of the car had been rebuilt. It was driven quite hard too.

I'm just glad to have them back intact.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great story, thanks for posting! You are a generous father!