• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ancient history - *really* ancient

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in the day, you turned on an analogue TV and often got "static". So ... what's the source of the "static"? And no, it's not your wife's hair drier.

latest

No fair reading this month's issue of Scientific American!

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Untranslated communication from an uncharted universe which has a buy one, get 2 free deal on rabbit ears.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
It's caused by some of the earliest remnants of the Big Bang!

"To glimpse the oldest light in the universe, simply tune an old television between channels: the tiny specs dancing on the screen result from the antenna being bombarded relentlessly by photons that were emitted shortly after the big bang, some 13.8 billion years ago. "

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...explain-mysterious-cold-spot-in-the-universe/

wow

Basil

Administrator
Boss

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Well, just turn the set off and stare and you might still see I Love Lucy
Seems there are 75+ hours of Lucy but lately I've also been looking for the cold spot in the universe. On my bike. Early before it gets hot. I gotta move Up North.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Something I've been wondering about all these years and I thought it was just snow! But they cleared it up and gave us this
View attachment 43968 and a few years later,
gave us this,
View attachment 43969 :highly_amused: PJ

Country flag
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been a fan of Heinlein quotes for most of my life. You could live your life adhering to most of them�� See below for three of my favorites��

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dang! I didn't get what you were saying.
Turns out I was watching the washing machine.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Dang! I didn't get what you were saying.
Turns out I was watching the washing machine.

Right after you ate that sugar cube, right?

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Lucy's over and I'm still on edge. This Big Bang Cold Spot has got me thinking, road trip.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
OK Old Timers. What was the name of the test patterns used by stations when they were off the air? A couple of them were shown above. And what were they used for?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not sure of their names, but I think they were used at startup in the morning and shutdown at night to adjust brightness and contrast and whatever you call all the other aspects of the TV signal. I also remember the Star Spangled Banner being played before they were displayed, usually with photos correlating to the lyrics.