• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Grinding noise when trying to start sometimes?

Momikey

So sometimes Tr3a starts right up and then sometimes it try's and clicks. Today it made a grinding noise when trying to start. Is this a bad starter or what do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 8987

Click can be several things...starter being one. Low battery. Bad or corroded cables. Bad or corroded solenoid contacts (it clicks, so start button and circuit is probably for this discussion okay).
Put a test light on the output lug of the solenoid and see what it does when you hit "start". Voltmeter would be better, but light will tell you.
Then do it on the starter cable lug.
Brushes bad will start usually with a balky start, get to the point you will need a hammer to get home the last time. That usually dances the brushes down that last little bit to get you home. BTDT.
Grinding can be several things...again, bad starter, low cranking voltage (depending on whether you have one of the new gear drive or original..and type of drive). Bendix units are "spun" out, needs a good kick, low voltage (cables, battery, solenoid) can sometimes give you a partial sling on the drive. Bad Bendix, bad ring gear...and don't keep doing that or it will be a bad ring gear.

Check battery voltage. Check voltage at solenoid and starter while someone holds the start button in. Any voltage drop is cables, connections or solenoid contacts.

That's a start.

May be a bad starter, but always a good idea to know the bits that feed the starter are up to snuff before you start changing parts out.

croz

Country flag
Also check to be sure that the starter mounting bolts are still secure.

OP
M

Momikey

Click can be several things...starter being one. Low battery. Bad or corroded cables. Bad or corroded solenoid contacts (it clicks, so start button and circuit is probably for this discussion okay).
Put a test light on the output lug of the solenoid and see what it does when you hit "start". Voltmeter would be better, but light will tell you.
Then do it on the starter cable lug.
Brushes bad will start usually with a balky start, get to the point you will need a hammer to get home the last time. That usually dances the brushes down that last little bit to get you home. BTDT.
Grinding can be several things...again, bad starter, low cranking voltage (depending on whether you have one of the new gear drive or original..and type of drive). Bendix units are "spun" out, needs a good kick, low voltage (cables, battery, solenoid) can sometimes give you a partial sling on the drive. Bad Bendix, bad ring gear...and don't keep doing that or it will be a bad ring gear.

Check battery voltage. Check voltage at solenoid and starter while someone holds the start button in. Any voltage drop is cables, connections or solenoid contacts.

That's a start.

May be a bad starter, but always a good idea to know the bits that feed the starter are up to snuff before you start changing parts out.

What is a ring gear and where is it at?

D

Deleted member 8987

And it may be fine now...but you keep grinding without finding the cause, won't take long and you will have a good blank spot where the full gear teeth used to be.

OP
M

Momikey

Ok I'm going to remove the starter and check it all out. Moss does not seam to have a rebuilt one for the early tr3a only the up graded hi torque starters which I guess would be better any way.

OP
M

Momikey

Well I put a new hi torque starter in today an I also hooked it up using the attached solenoid not only did the grinding noise go away but the car starts right up. I like it.
I plan on rebuilding the old starter if I can just to have the original parts saved.

D

Deleted member 8987

There ya go! I can't recall off the top of me head the drive on a 2/3/3A, but I thought it was the old pull-in Bendix style.
Rust dirt and grease in the drive...or lots of old clutch facing dust...or remnants of throwout bearings...
Starter itself is probably just fine...check end float....but the drive can be the issue.

Tell me so I know...is the old unit pull-in drive (pulls the gear towards the starter and hits the rear part of the ring gear) and new one push out drive (hits front of ring gear)?

OP
M

Momikey

There ya go! I can't recall off the top of me head the drive on a 2/3/3A, but I thought it was the old pull-in Bendix style.
Rust dirt and grease in the drive...or lots of old clutch facing dust...or remnants of throwout bearings...
Starter itself is probably just fine...check end float....but the drive can be the issue.

Tell me so I know...is the old unit pull-in drive (pulls the gear towards the starter and hits the rear part of the ring gear) and new one push out drive (hits front of ring gear)?
my old one looks like a bullet I think it pushed out but the teeth were a little chipped and it felt like it was wore out. The new one is a hi torque stater from British starters. It starts right away. Big difference.