• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech A Sign from m God

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yesterday my 1960 TR3A drove away with a new owner. It left as I stood in the rain. It had not been driven in the rain in over 10 years. As soon as it turned the corner a bolt of lightening struck the house, frying every TV and electronic circuit board we own. Security, sprinklers, Internet modem and router, treadmill, computers....the list goes on.

I think I made a mistake. Will God ever forgive me for selling a Triumph??

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd never ignore signs like that. I'd find some way to fit them into my life routine and act on them. But that would be my own secret. Maybe you're being told to get another and take equally good care of it, too.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd say it was a sign from God to sell the car or you may have been sitting in that house and not out standing in the rain. Who knows what would have happened to you if you were in it.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
OK, I'm convinced...never sell a TR!

Cheers
Tush

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's hard to not call a lightening strike, a sign from above. But do you really think your god cares what car you sale? My god has a sense of humor (or me or my TR would not exist). I think the sign might have been 'at least the TR was saved'. Like a certain comedian used to say to his children 'I brought you into this world, I can take you out and make another just like you'.

Sometimes things happen because they can. I'm sorry for your loss.

Peace.

(FYI, my TR is not for sale -and we are presently having a lightening storm)

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It doesn't help my remorse that the last 3 owners of that Triumph died...I'm starting to worry.

(Need to add...the facts above are true, but my Triumph went to a good home and will be loved, so I am good with the sale and just sharing the irony life provides. The new owner is a forum member, so my car is really still here with us!)

Last edited:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know about a divine message - but selling that beautiful car? What got into you man? Are you crazy? Seriously I can't wait to see you with the TR2 up and running your 3a was gorgeous and that new owner I'm sure will enjoy it very much.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Very sorry for your loss John. Sure glad you sent me that CD when you did! Thanks for the CD! I have already used it to position the boot lid stay rod.

Thanks, Dick

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Yesterday my 1960 TR3A drove away with a new owner. It left as I stood in the rain. It had not been driven in the rain in over 10 years. As soon as it turned the corner a bolt of lightening struck the house, frying every TV and electronic circuit board we own. Security, sprinklers, Internet modem and router, treadmill, computers....the list goes on.

I think I made a mistake. Will God ever forgive me for selling a Triumph??

I am gong to show your post to my wife.
that aught to convince her the TR is staying.......for her own good.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Later found it blew up both water heaters and both AC units too. The day after I went up in the attic and found the strike had welded a hole in a gas line, so we had a blow torch style fire in the attic for aver a day that we didn't know about!

No...the Boss has spoken...I'll never sell the TR2!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello John

Sounds like you were lucky the house did not go up in flames if the gas line was leaking fire for that length of time.

Lightening can do strange things.
We have lost things to a strike but nothing that bad. Blew outlets off the wall and a few appliances but that was all. Plus a tree about 15' from the house.

David

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Lordy! Isn't lightening strike one of the main reasons the electrical codes call for deep post grounds?
......sounds like the grounds didn't come close to working.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
John,
how's home insurance coverage?

hope it's better than my medical insurance!

No, it sucks. I am old enough to remember the $500 deductibles. Now they've rammed percentage deductibles down our throats, that absolutely kill you. Most of this will be out of pocket. Might have come out better if the whole thing burned down.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I feel your dilemma! I have thought about it but just can't do it! I am sure you have reasons for passing it along but you made that car a treasure for some person to cherish. Good luck with all the repairs on the home!

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Man, I wouldn't even know where to start with a catastrophe like that.

can you even live there?

on a different note: I can't imagine what the crack of thunder must have been like right over your head like that.
would have had to change my shorts at the very least.

CuAnEm

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well, John, we certainly hope you don't end up like the prior owners any time soon. Being the new owner of John's gem, the ride home was in a driving - and I mean DRIVING - storm the entire way. You'd think a car company that was located in a rainy climate would make a car with windscreen wipers that worked worth a darn! But rest assured, when we got home I made my wife move her car out of the garage and I proceeded to completely wipe down the UNDERSIDE of the car - good as new. Yes, you're not the only OCD owner of that car. Beautiful, awesome car. John did a miraculous job on it and I'm sure we'll continue to see each other around Dallas (****, we even work for the same company). Nothing beats a car that was meticulously restored. Or an owner that appreciates a car that was meticulously restored. Personally, I can't wait to see the magic you work on the TR2. And I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum. Pat

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
a car with windscreen wipers that worked worth a darn! Pat

Pat, welcome to the... forum. My TR3 doesn't have the optional wipers that work worth a darn. It has the STANDARD 2-speed wipers (Very slow and off). That's why I use Rain-X often. Someday I hope to see, in person, your TR3 and Johns TR2. Until then, enjoy.

PS Be careful what you say about the D.P.O. -he frequents this forum!