• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BT7 Right Front Brake Drag

spartan0199

f4l5z9.jpg

23rs6d0.jpg

inv9fo.jpg

2vd188x.jpg

Hi All,
Last fall I noticed a grinding noise from the right front under braking, fast forward to now and I'm looking into the issue. With the front wheels off the ground the left front was free spinning the right front was dragging. Pictures show the condition of the brake pads at each side and the right front rotor. I started some disassembly but could not get the nut off that holds the caliper on with the small wrench I had.

So in the meantime I figure I would order parts, currently thinking new pads rotors and brake lines. Any other suggestions from the experts? Also not sure exactly how the rotors come off but I haven't gotten that far into it yet. I'm not a mechanic but I do change rotors and pads on my other cars. Seems more straight forward compared to this one :p

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated, thanks!

PS: Also had right front dragging on my beater 2003 Subaru Legacy last fall if you can believe it. On the Healey I could not at all feel that the brake was dragging while driving but on the Subaru it was very obvious and the car would at times really fight itself to keep going! The Subaru was fixed by replacing the flexible brake line.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
f4l5z9.jpg

23rs6d0.jpg

inv9fo.jpg

2vd188x.jpg

Hi All,
Last fall I noticed a grinding noise from the right front under braking, fast forward to now and I'm looking into the issue. With the front wheels off the ground the left front was free spinning the right front was dragging. Pictures show the condition of the brake pads at each side and the right front rotor. I started some disassembly but could not get the nut off that holds the caliper on with the small wrench I had.

So in the meantime I figure I would order parts, currently thinking new pads rotors and brake lines. Any other suggestions from the experts? Also not sure exactly how the rotors come off but I haven't gotten that far into it yet. I'm not a mechanic but I do change rotors and pads on my other cars. Seems more straight forward compared to this one :p

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated, thanks!

PS: Also had right front dragging on my beater 2003 Subaru Legacy last fall if you can believe it. On the Healey I could not at all feel that the brake was dragging while driving but on the Subaru it was very obvious and the car would at times really fight itself to keep going! The Subaru was fixed by replacing the flexible brake line.
You may need to replace the flex line and if you do replace all 3 of them. As far as turning the rotor I saw Zander episode I'm Wheelers Dealers where it was done on the car. I don't think there's any specs for the minimum thickness of the rotor.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
To get the rotors off, you have to unbolt the calipers--two big bolts each--and remove the big nut on the end of the axle spindle (after you figure out a way to get the dust cover out). The rotors will slide off with at least the outer bearing inside. This will be the time to inspect the bearings and replace if necessary, or at least repack and check the end float (many discussions on this here and on the rest of the interwebs). If you haven't gone through your brakes in a long time it would be a good idea to pull the pistons and replace the seals (which could be a cause of the brake dragging) and, unless they're perfect, replace the pistons with stainless steel ones, and make sure the bores have no rust or pitting. You don't need to split the calipers unless they're leaking.

Frankly, that rotor looks really bad, and should be replaced (you might be able to get it turned). Also, I've never seen the studs mounted that way, I think they are usually installed so that the threads are on the outside of the rotor hat (at least, that's how my BJ8 came). Your pads are shot, and it looks in the bottom photo that one is worn down to the metal backing (which is likely the cause of the grinding noise). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like your brakes got a 'spray can rebuild'--notice the rubber boots have been painted gold--and you really need these brakes thoroughly gone through. That wheel's brakes are not roadworthy.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pads look to be wearing uneven in lower photo. Piston not retracting correctly. I would get a new caliper to replace it. Find a shop that is able to cut the rotor correctly. Anymore mechanic shops are few and far between so get some recommendations for your area

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pads look to be wearing uneven in lower photo. Piston not retracting correctly. I would get a new caliper to replace it. Find a shop that is able to cut the rotor correctly. Anymore mechanic shops are few and far between so get some recommendations for your area

If you look at the top photo closely, you'll see a significant ridge in the rotor, and it appears to be on the side where the completely worn pad is. It appears to be a half-inch rotor, as opposed to the earlier 3/8"--I think--rotors, but I'm not sure that rotor is turnable. Moss, and others, put brake parts on sale fairly regularly; I bought new rotors on sale probably 10 years ago, figuring I'd need them eventually. Parts don't get cheaper over time and can't hurt sale value if it ever comes to that (also bought a new clutch I'll be installing in the next year). As a side, I have my BJ8 up on jackstands for inspection before my annual road trip, and the rotors are mirror-smooth. I have no idea why, probably a lucky combination of pad (Ferrodo) and rotor brand/grade, but every other car I've had with disks wore grooves into the rotors after just a few thousand miles. I probably--I really should keep track of this--have well over 60K miles on them.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Unless you know the history of the car - how many miles/years since the last major brake rebuild, I would suggest you don't take any shortcuts. Replace/rebuild everything. Hoses look like they have been in service for a long time - replace all three as has been said. Pads are worn uneven suggesting piston hang-up. If that's the case, it could be due to grit/rust in the bores. If the pistons show pitting, I agree with Bob, buy stainless steel pistons - either way, rebuild or replace the calipers. Rotors are relatively cheap, I would replace - BTW, general rule of thumb I've been taught is 10% when turning rotors - these look like early ones to me so would have started at .375 so shouldn't be turned below about .340 (if later .500 discs then the lower limit will be around .450).
But don't stop there, rebuild/replace master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders. And check rear shoes & drums condition - if any doubt, replace. I believe the best solution for brakes is to make them completely new if you don't know how long it's been since they were done. Your peace of mind will thank you.
Just my .02
Dave

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This (what I was trying to say while 'beating around the bush'). Since there are no modern safety, cover-your-butt devices--air bags, crumple zones, automatic braking, lane change warning, etc.--in a Healey there is absolutely no margin for equipment or operator failure. If your car won't start, you don't get to have a Sunday drive on the backroads, if your brakes fail you could be severely injured or die (goes for suspension and tires as well).

OP
spartan0199

spartan0199

Thank you all for your suggestions. The amount of work based on the suggestions is a little daunting but I will go step by step and try to take it apart. The history of the car as I know it. It was purchased in 1975 by father and uncle and needed a lot of work. It was road worthy again in 1980 in the current state. I know the exact repair history since 1993 and none of these part have been touched during that time, so who knows how old these components are. The car has not been driven a lot since 1993 but I do get it going every year and it drives :smile:

Yes the noise was from the outside brake pad wearing all the way down to the backing plate and grooving the rotor pretty bad. Both rotors don't look that great to me so I think my plan is to replace them with new. I'll try to get it apart before I buy any parts to see what it looks like.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
... I would not be inhibited by this - disc brakes are simple.

True, but replacing the rotor requires re-packing--possibly replacing--the bearings and checking/adjusting the end float, which is a little daunting (as evidenced by all the commentary here). However, there is no alternative to having properly functioning brakes.

OP
spartan0199

spartan0199

Hi All
Fast forward, I got the front brakes back together, including the flexible brake lines replaced. Had my nephew help me bleed the brakes, the two man "open/close bleeder" method. Seemed like I was getting good fluid out of the bleeders. When I test drove it the pedal is very soft with a lot of free play, doesn't feel right. I drove slow around the neighborhood just to check. If I slam the brakes on full force from that slow speed I can get the RH front wheel to lock up but not the LH front. Both rotors were hot after the short test run, seems like things are working mechanically. Another round of bleeding in order? Any other suggestions?

Also didn't do anything with the rear brakes right now, just wanted to get it back going before winter!

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
This exact thing happened to me. I replaced the Pistons in the calipers and the brake hoses and the pads. You should do all three. I did not replace the rotors which look like yours and they still brake fine. It is most likely the Pistons since you did the brake hoses.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Definitely need to do them all. The original brake system is a single circuit. Opening lines any where in the circuit allows air into the whole system and must be bled out entirely, starting in the rear. For sure do as John says and replace that rear brake hose while there is already air in the lines.
Jim

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
After replacing all three brake hoses, the front disc Pistons and seals, and adjusting the rear brakes, I have a perfectly performing brake system. My big mistake was putting off the replacement of the rear brake hose. Replacing the rear hose requires removing the front connection with the steel line, removing the nut that holds the line in place, then removing the rear connection with the junction to the rear brake lines.