• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trunk modification for bt7

petnatcar

Country flag
Hi Guys,

Are you sick of wasting energy dragging that lump of a spare tire around?

In the 43 years I've driven this car I've never had a flat, but I do carry a can of Fix A Flat just in case.

If I have to haul extra weight then I'd prefer it to be tools and parts.

Here's what I did to make the trunk a little more functional.

Trunk Modification.jpg

RAC68

Darth Vader
Sorry, but I was under the impression that Fix-A-Flat (or similar) was most effective and focused on a tubeless tire and not on a tube tired wire wheel. Either way, I have had a flat and was very happy I had a spare to replace. Yes, it would be nice to have more space for parts but only for a small number of critical replacements which don't require much space.

My attempt to optimize boot space has been limited to the installation of a 10" woofer inside the spare for my sound system. However, for those without a sound system, you may want to use this space to store a box with other parts. Either way, I would suggest carefully considering the elimination of a spare if you have wires with tubes.

100_0369.jpg

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Prenatar, in 53 years of driving my Healey, I also never had the need for a spare, but as soon as I remove it, I'm sure the need will appear.....

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had a flat tyre about a month ago! And on our recent trip to South Australia one of our group also had a flat. So, I will keep on carrying a spare. My daily drive has a space-saver which I am not keen on, but in the nine years I have had the car (Mazda 3) I have never needed it.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When we're counting ages, does owning a bug-eyed Sprite (well, two) since 1972 mean I'm 44 years older, or can I adjust it be deleting the non-running years? And I think we've had our BJ7 since the early 80s, but the running years are very few. But this summer! Doug

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Murphys law, as soon as you remove the spare tire, you'll need it.
As far as where to store spare parts (the ones you'll never need) I put in a cake container that fits under the spare tire.
IMG_2627.jpgIMG_2629.jpgIMG_2632.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Even if you are in your home town and have a puncture WHO! are you going to get to fix it. Most shops have never seen a true spoke wheel and do not have the knowledge or facilities to repair a tubed tire.:friendly_wink:

I had a flat years ago at Breckenridge there was a well equipped station very close to the site.
Vulcanizing set ups and water tank for chasing leaks. However, no one in that station knew how to repair a flat.
Fortunately they gave me a free hand to use all their facility. I had all the patches and my own 12V air pump. I also carry it every where I go.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sometime ago, in the early morning, after a day of hard driving, in a Club manifestation, I see my rear Tubeless Tyre completely flat !
beginning to work to change the wheel , but fortunately a gentleman have a 12Volt Air Compressor (from the Porsche Boxter)
in few seconds my Tyre was inflated at the correct pressure, with this intervention I have finished the manifestation, and returned to home200 km faraway,
the following morning the Tyre have sufficient pressure to go to Tyre shop, were one Construction yard spike was extracted.
I have buy a Compact 12V Air Compressor for my car -now-
and seriously value the "patnatcar" idea, to let go at home my spare Wheel

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I always new there was a reason to keep that old Fruit Cake tin, fits under the WW perfectly and keeps tools and spare parts dry with a lot of storage space.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK John thanks much