• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Linux Centos 7 problem

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I finally re-installed Centos in my Desktop as something didn't go right on the first installation, this time it appears all went well, but, when I re boot the machine the program asks for the host to sign in and then asks for the password. I went through all of the required password and user name requirements, but I keep getting a message that the log in info is wrong. What is the HOST? I thought it was the user name, but I guess I'm wrong. I created a root password and a user password, but which one do I use, neither seems to work. Anyone help on this, as this is the reason I never finished installing it before. completely confused. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Log in as user: "root" and your admin password. Then you can create any number of user accounts.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Any joy, Paul?

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, done every thing you said and it still comes up as a wrong log in!
I typed in "root" hit enter and then typed in the admin password, won't log in! I even tried my user name, no go. Stumped. :confusion: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Egad.

The "root" username should be the one to use, the password is what you need to figure out. You must have used a known password for the root account, as you would need to enter it twice as you loaded the O/S. The only other thing I can offer is to reinstall the whole thing... never had logging in as root become an issue. Very strange.

"HOST" is the name of the particular computer in the LAN settings. Shouldn't have anything to do with login.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doc - Paul mentioned "when I re boot the machine the program asks for the host to sign in", so I'm thinking he should have entered "localhost" at that point, then progressed to the username/password bit.

I don't think Paul would have used the word "host" if it was asking for a username.

Anyway, when I used to play with Linux, I found the installation defaulting to a host name of "localhost", unless I changed it during setup. That had nothing to do with username/password.

Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tom said:
Anyway, when I used to play with Linux, I found the installation defaulting to a host name of "localhost", unless I changed it during setup. That had nothing to do with username/password.

Yup, default hostname would be 'localhost' and the (loopback) IP addy is 127.0.0.1 but none of that would have much to do with any account login. The 'root' user account must have a password, other user accounts can be changed, added or removed when logged in as root. I've NEVER had an install of CEntOS refuse login as root with the proper password.

The only other reason I can think of is that when the system loaded, there was a glitch in the data either on original media or during the install.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. Note Paul asking "What is the HOST?".

I'm thinking this is one of those adventures where it helps to see exactly what's on screen as Paul cranks up the system.

T.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I installed the system it asked for a root password which I typed then it asked for my full name, typed that in and it gave me my user name, basically just my name shortened and then a user password, which I typed that in. When I re booted it is when it asks for the host name and then password.
Typed in (root)
Then root password, hit enter and get the rejection message. Hard to imagine it just doesn't log me in, but it doesn't. Baffled. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
Hard to imagine it just doesn't log me in, but it doesn't. Baffled. PJ

Never had this issue, so, baffled as well. Only thing I can think to do is reinstall.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Greg, that explained a couple questions I had, but I think I'm going to re install the whole works and see what happens. Don't know how much time I'll have to fool with it as the rest of the week is full of appointments, including taking the 2 dogs to the groomers. I'll let you know how I make out when I can get back to it. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Still need to gain access to the root account to make changes. A possible change into runlevel 3 may allow it. But it's a Catch-22... you need to be logged on as root to change runlevel (easily)..

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
OK Doc/Greg, I typed "root" and then the root password, it didn't reject it but, this came up under it, [root@localhost "]# _ . The dash is blinking so it seems to be asking for something else, but knowing nothing about the internal workings of the system, I have no idea what it is. PJ

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Looks like you're in. At the bash command prompt. I've never worked with CentOS before so I don't know how to bring up a desktop for it, if the version you downloaded even has one. It may be a pure server OS.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup, you're in. Root level access with a command prompt. Greg's right, sounds like the server version; no GUI "desktop". Unless you're familiar with command line Linux or want to learn it, the best solution is to reinstall with the workstation version. It ~IS~ possible to install the GUI onto the install you have, but it is a rather roundabout process. HERE'S a link to help walk you thru it. :scared:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Doc, I was about to give up on this project. I've burnt three different disks from three different sites and they all react the same. I'm going to use the link you posted and use it as a guide to see if I can bring up a desktop. Worth a try, nothing else seems to be working. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I just ordered a disc that supposedly installs CentOS 7 without any assistance?? Cheap 5 bucks! Supposedly no typing of commands to the black screen, we'll see. I tried to type in the commands to install the desktop, but with no success, hope this disc will solve the problem. PJ