• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fire wall insulation

Dealmaker5

Freshman Member
Hello does any body have an idea of how to get a pattern for the firewall on a Healey , the insulation that looks like hardee backer cement board

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes it looks like Hardibacker but hardibacker actually has no thermal insulating properties. I'd love to know if the stuff sold by Moss has any insulating properties either.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I don't know why you would even need it? As long as you insulate the floors, toe boards, and transmission tunnel you should be good to go. I seriously doubt if the stock one does any good, being asbestos it is more of a health hazard then anything. But if you must, I would just go for the moss kit.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't know why you would even need it? As long as you insulate the floors, toe boards, and transmission tunnel you should be good to go. I seriously doubt if the stock one does any good, being asbestos it is more of a health hazard then anything. But if you must, I would just go for the moss kit.

You can make a big improvement, even on a concours car, by ensuring the grommets are in place and sealing properly at the top portion of the firewall. Shine a droplight in the engine compartment and look up under the dash. Wherever the light shines through is a path for really hot air to come into the passenger cabin. You'll be surprised how many "points of light" you'll see.

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
I used Hardibacker for under the floor boards and used the Moss product for the firewall and driver's footwell. While Hardibacker may not have good insulation value, remember that if installed correctly these pieces have spacers behind them providing an air gap and will block radiant heat if not convective heat. So they do provide "some good".

Griz

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Good comment Griz. I've considered hiding a foil layer on the backside of the insulation in that air gap. I don't think you'd be able to see it and the foil would create a true radiant reflective layer in that airspace. I'm thinking it would help dramatically. Just an idea...

Country flag
Hello does any body have an idea of how to get a pattern for the firewall on a Healey , the insulation that looks like hardee backer cement board

You didn't say what model of Healey, but Moss has kits for the 100 made in collaboration with Roger Moment, the Healey 'Guru of Gurus.' Wish they had them when we restored our BN2.

D

Deleted member 19315

I disagree that hardibacker has no insulation properties. This is even better with the air gap spacers and with the addition of some silvering . It has worked well for me both on the engine space bulkhead and on the carb heatshield which was just a sheet of steel before my additions. I,m sure there are better products but this stuff does work. However I do agree with proper bulkhead sealing and insulation of footwells etc with something like cooltec or dynamat too.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hardie Board is now preprinted in yellow. I bought the "white" stuff from BCS. It came from the UK and was bight white and I found "master board" on the backside of it. Probably the UK version of Hardie Board.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hardie Board is now preprinted in yellow. I bought the "white" stuff from BCS. It came from the UK and was bight white and I found "master board" on the backside of it. Probably the UK version of Hardie Board.
"preprinted" should be "preprimed".

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I remember the kit I got from Moss was not big enough to do the large piece under the driver floor board. My original asbestos piece was still good so I reused that and cut the remaining pieces out of the Moss sheet. The Moss sheet cut very easily. All my original pieces were good enough to get good patterns. Have a good day!

John

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
As I remember the kit I got from Moss was not big enough to do the large piece under the driver floor board. My original asbestos piece was still good so I reused that and cut the remaining pieces out of the Moss sheet. The Moss sheet cut very easily. All my original pieces were good enough to get good patterns. Have a good day!

John
i got my kit from BCS and everything fit and it had all the pieces. I like the UK product because it was bright white.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used spacers under the foot shield and above the muffler (hardiboard). As I recall there were no spacers behind the firewall panel or on the side of the toe box. Am I wrong?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used spacers under the foot shield and above the muffler (hardiboard). As I recall there were no spacers behind the firewall panel or on the side of the toe box. Am I wrong?

Here's a picture of the side of the toe box on the driver's side showing the spacers on my BJ7

IMG_0094.jpg

I don't see an outline for the standoffs on the passenger side nor does it look like they are on the firewall, either:

IMG_0100.jpg

It's possible they only used them on the driver's side because that's where the exhaust pipe runs. I still have the original asbestos pieces so I can check them to see, but won't be able to get to them until next month. I'll check back with you then if you're interested.

Because originality wasn't my prime motivation :devilgrin: but keeping the heat of the V8 out of the cockpit was, I addressed the issue with engine-turned stainless steel covers over a layer of foil bubble insulation (Reflectix).

IMG_0118.jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The firewall one has no spacers. It sits flat on the firewall. The upper two on the footbox also sit flat with no spacers. The one on the side of the footbox, and the ones on the immediate front and bottom of the footbox all have spacers. The one on the floor above the muffler also has spacers. In my picture you can see the spacers on the muffler shield as it is lying on the floor waiting installation.

Attachments

• 2012-05-09 003.jpg
    2012-05-09 003.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2012-05-09 007.jpg
    2012-05-09 007.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 111

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok. I'm in for a re do of the panel on the side of the drivers toe box. Somebody (me) put an engine right in the way. That'll be fun.

Spacers do make all the difference. I compare it to the woodstove I have in my shop with cement board behind it. It has over an inch of space between the cement board and the wall. The board gets too hot to touch and the wall behind it is only warm.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Search Lowes or Homedepot Hardibacker