• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crane XR700 electronic ignition, now FAST XR700.

matmire

I've been researching an upgrade to electronic ignition, and through these forums decided the Crane unit was the one for me. Unfortunately, Crane no longer seems to be making electronic ignition. It appears FAST technologies bought out the ei arm of Crane Cams and has re-branded them. Is there any reason that this turn of events should give me pause in purchasing one? Anyone have experience with the re-branded units? I'm reticent to buy left over Crane stock, if they will no longer be able to support the unit should I need warranty service. The new FAST versions seem to be out of stock at a lot of their retailers. They do have them in stock at their website (without much by way of product description). It appears that buying direct will require buying a separate installation kit, I think.

What do you all think?

press release:
https://aftermarketpress.com/index....ls-new-ignition-division&catid=125&Itemid=550

FAST XR700-0231:
https://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/fa...niversal-4-6-and-8-cylinder-applicationshtml/

dudley32

The page when I just viewed it, showed 0 in stock. I would also like something similar to this, but this makes me a little wary.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I wouldn't worry either way. These things are rock solid. I've had mine in for well over 10 years and never even a hiccup. Paul A told me he had his in for over 200,000 miles in his Morris Minor. .. Put it in and be done with points.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a very lightly used Crane XR700 surplus to my needs. Send me a PM if interested.

RickB

Yoda
It looks like this one... The universal kit shouldn't be needed.... I think... hard to tell.. .

700-0231.

Bill, I have one of these in my B.
Have been having a lot of trouble under very wet conditions.
Ever have anything like that?
When very wet with very high humidity I can't get enough fire to get the engine to catch.
After things dry out the engine starts right up at the touch of the key to start.
Have been going round and round with this, fixing a lot of stuff that didn't need fixing, and just came up with this theory about it not working when wet.
What do you think?

RickB

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interesting about the wet conditions.. Since I don't drive the red thing if the roads are wet (unless i get caught out that is) I haven't experience. I DO know that Paul A said they were essentially bullet proof, so I would be looking at something else in the wiring harness as being the potential path to ground. Have you tried looking at it in the wet in the dark? Could it be at the coil? That's where I would start to investoigate. My thought is that it's not the Crane, but something else causing the problem... .. you could try to un mount it, wrap it in a plastic bag to keep moisture out ? ..

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I wouldn't worry either way. These things are rock solid. I've had mine in for well over 10 years and never even a hiccup. Paul A told me he had his in for over 200,000 miles in his Morris Minor. .. Put it in and be done with points.

I have been using Crane (which was previously Allison) since the early 1970's. I am still using that same early model Allison in one of my Bugeyes.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Interesting about the wet conditions.. Since I don't drive the red thing if the roads are wet (unless i get caught out that is) I haven't experience. I DO know that Paul A said they were essentially bullet proof, so I would be looking at something else in the wiring harness as being the potential path to ground. Have you tried looking at it in the wet in the dark? Could it be at the coil? That's where I would start to investoigate. My thought is that it's not the Crane, but something else causing the problem... .. you could try to un mount it, wrap it in a plastic bag to keep moisture out ? ..

I agree. I have seen loss of spark in the most unexpected places. I once found that a spark wire was jumping spark to moisture on a heater hose (Morris Minor) Many reproduction rotors cause problems as well. I would make sure all the grounds were rock solid too.

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Bill & Gerard,
At night in the wet - that's when it wouldn't run so yes I have spent a significant amount of time looking at it under those conditions...
The coil is just an aluminum bodied coil with no markings or labels so I have no idea if it's the proper one for the crane system.
However, when dried out it all starts and runs perfectly so I'd say there must be something going on.
I think the time to look at it to check for spark leak would be in the dark with the engine running, so I will try that.
I'd guess that if my coolant leak was solved that would take care of most of the (or all) problems, I'm taking a week off work next month to replace the head, swap the stock carb for a pair of HIF4's and the exhaust with the early manifold and downpipe (getting rid of the cat). This will make a huge difference in the car, heck if I have any time after that I may do some cosmetic work too, though it doesn't need much. Replace the top, that would be nice!

1974MGMidget

Maybe when its dry and running well, you could take a small spray bottle of water and spray different potential parts to see if it starts to run bad? Doing it in the dark would be even more fun!

RickB

Yoda
Maybe when its dry and running well, you could take a small spray bottle of water and spray different potential parts to see if it starts to run bad? Doing it in the dark would be even more fun!

Sounds a bit S&M for my tastes... :glee: