• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wire wheel balancing service-[Tulsa area]?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Anyone know of a wire wheel balancing service in or around the Tulsa area? I'd like them spin balanced with the tires mounted. No, I don't want to send them off the Alan Hendrix, he's too far away, but he would be my first choice if he was closer. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not sure Guy, I've been told of a place where someone had a wire wheel balanced, but haven't had the time to checked it out. No one around here has the proper set up for our wheels. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I belong to The Green Country MG Register in Tulsa. I've had one feed back from them, which is the one I'll check out soon. But, I don't think they can spin balance them with the proper set up. Thanks for the list, Gives me more avenues to pursue. PJ

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
I have a splined adapter that I sleeved and bored to slide over the "spindle" of most balancing machines (1.574 ID). I also bored the center of a knock off out to the same ID. Simulates the same geometry of your car.
I'll gladly lend the set-up to you if you'll pay postage both ways. Fits in a USPS flat rate box... $12.35
If you're interested, verify the OD of your balancer.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I have a splined adapter that I sleeved and bored to slide over the "spindle" of most balancing machines (1.574 ID). I also bored the center of a knock off out to the same ID. Simulates the same geometry of your car.
I'll gladly lend the set-up to you if you'll pay postage both ways. Fits in a USPS flat rate box... $12.35
If you're interested, verify the OD of your balancer.

Lukens,

Just curious about this spindle adapter set up, (because I never would have even thought to do it. Though it makes a lot of sense, if you know your way around balancing machines etc.)
What prompted you to make this set up?
Were/are you in the wheel/tire business or something?

Best regards,

Guy

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - are you trying to get the wheels balanced while they're on the car?

Not really Tom, I am looking for someone who has a setup like Alan Hendrix in NC. I have a couple used splined hubs in the shop off of an MGA rear and was thinking of having the center of one of them machined to fit on a standard spin balancer. I could use a bubble balancer until I get that done, which I can have done local. I won't let just anyone attempt to balance them, too much money involved here. PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I worked at the import shop I used to balance a lot of wire wheels with a bubble balancer.

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
No, I'm not a "tire guy". In fact, they all **** me off.
A splined hub only locates the wheel on two tapers, an internal one on the inboard side of the hub and an external one on the outboard side. Every shop I went to threw the wheel against a flat plate on the balancer and rammed a tapered adapter into the center hole. Neither of these surfaces are designed to be true to the wheel. (I understand that Dayton wheels have addressed that). My set-up mimics the real world.
However... most guys in my club seem to be satisfied with the tire shops I referenced above. Go figure.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I worked at the import shop I used to balance a lot of wire wheels with a bubble balancer.

Thanks Walter, That puts a new light on bubble balancers. I just wish we were close to North Carolina, as Hendrix did the wheels on our 72 B and the difference was amazing. He trues the wheels, tunes the spokes and shaves the tires for out of round, not cheap but well worth the price. PJ

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Thanks Walter, That puts a new light on bubble balancers. I just wish we were close to North Carolina, as Hendrix did the wheels on our 72 B and the difference was amazing. He trues the wheels, tunes the spokes and shaves the tires for out of round, not cheap but well worth the price. PJ

Hendrix does do good work. I ended up buying new chrome 64 spoke wheels & tires from him a few months ago.
it was expensive. (Sold my old set right here on the BCF classified)
but it was the best move I've made regarding ride & handling.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, that's not to say I enjoy the bubble balancer nor do I think it is nearly as accurate as a modern spin balancer.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There is a spring repair co in Tulsa that supposedly will spin balance them on the car, $15 each. At $370.00 each, times 5, I'm leery of letting just anyone touch these wheels. I've thought of motor cycle shops, but haven't talked to anyone yet. PJ