• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Time for a new windshield

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Wondering who out there has recently replaced the windshield on their BJ8. I have tried to machine polish out the scratches in mine but have given up!
Is this a do it yourself job or best done by a pro? Can the entire assembly be removed frame and all and taken to a glass shop? What is the best source for replacement glass? I have heard the after marker seals at the bottom between the chrome frame and bonnet do not fit well.
Any input appreciated!

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I did mine myself and you do need to remove the whole assembly off the car . make note of where the shims are and how many . . Yes the seal on the bottom of the frame is a B&%$#@#$!@##^& to install , lots of patience beer and something to sooth your sore thumbs once your done . I suggest you order new corner braces and screws as well as a new glass . The corner brace screws will probably shear off when you take it apart . my replacement windshield came from Victoria British .

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Healey nut! Will the whole assembly come out as one piece? Was thinking about just taking it to someone and having them replace glass and seals.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes the whole thing comes off as one piece but you will have to remove the dash pad first as there's a hidden bolt securing the windshield frame to the shroud behind the rear view mirror (which you will also remove)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The best source for new glass is Pilkington https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/. They come with the Triplex logo etched in. Hint: If you have it shipped to a business instead of your house, the shipping costs are much lower. I bought a replacement for my BN4, but they also make them for BJ8s.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks guys! Do you also think its possible to re use the seal at the bottom of the frame if its serviceable? Trying to avoid the dreaded newer aftermarket ones.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If the seal is still flexible and not weather beaten and cracked then sure just be careful when you peel up the ends where it wraps over the end of the bulkhead into the wings as its should be glued in place there .
Victoria British offers a winsheild replacement kit which is the glass and required seals .

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How deep are your pockets? You can now get heated windscreens but they come at a price - approximately 4 x the price of an ordinary windscreen.

Just thought that I would throw it out there.

:cheers:

Bob

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
An insurance claim on your windshield could help cover, or at least reduce, replacement cost(s). I'm planning to replace the original on my BJ-7 which is slowly delaminating from the bottom edges. Gonzo

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just as a follow up and to keep all informed I was able to get the windshield off the car and glass off the frame. Now comes the fun part putting on the body seal!
I thought I would let people know on here that my collector auto insurance(American Collectors agreed value policy) have covered the cost of the parts/shipping and and any labor(should I need help). They did this because it was a damaged windshield(rock chips/ deep scratches) and have assured me it will NOT affect my premium! I have never seen this posted by another BCF member in my forum search but thought I would forward the information.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice to hear. I have American Collectors also and although I have not needed to place a claim, it nice to know they are responsive. The staff has always been very helpful when I have contacted them.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Nice to hear. I have American Collectors also and although I have not needed to place a claim, it nice to know they are responsive. The staff has always been very helpful when I have contacted them.

Same here, I have American Collectors as well, good to know. I do remember asking one of the major auto glass companies in my area if they would replace a windshield on my Old British sports car if I ever needed one. They said no way! Too much risk involved. In any case, I would rather do it myself anyway.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Years ago, I attempted to replace my windscreen on my BT7. Two hours of frustration, I finally took it to a glass shop and $80 later, it was done. Best money I've ever spent on my car.

toxig

Freshman Member
I recently tried to replace a windscreen for a BJ7. Unfortunately it cracked even though I was being gentle. I then decided to give it to an expert and the same thing happened to him fortunately he did not charge me as he said that he had done many Healy screens and it wound not happen to him. It turned out that the newly chromed frame had a bend in it not visible to the naked eye. This was probably caused by whoever took the screen out (not me) tugging at the frame as the old glass tends to weld itself onto the perishing rubber. So be very careful!
I obtained my screen/s from Tynside Autoglass for about ÂŁ85 but they may not deal to you directly(they will advise) It doesn't have the Triplex logo but I think is much cheaper. - but glass is glass!!

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
All, Windshield is reassembled and ready to go back on the car. As was expected the bottom seal was a bitch to install as a semi hard rubber strip just does not want to bend and turn at the same time.!!
Question about the proper placement and length of the seal end once in place. I have looked at photos but is not conclusive. Is the end of the seal cut right at the door/fender space or is it tucked under between door and fender and glued beneath ?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's how I did mine .
The red is the in progress 64 the green is the done 67 BJ8s
now is this the concourse ultra correct ??? .....I have no idea I just copied the way they were when I took them apart .
you need to cut off the section of the seal that goes in the groove so just the exposed tail is left then wrap it into the door opening and glue it down .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 65

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Country flag
I'm not ready to order a new w/s just yet but anyone sees a good deal on them, please let me know. I can order one now if theres a deal.

Marv

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
The long extra section of the seal as shown in Healey Nut's photos is held in place by the windshield post push-on seal, which should continue onto the flange of the front fender, instead of being cut as shown. I will look for a photo.
Bob