• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Security Request - yeah, right

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Got a "Security Request" about my iTunes account that looked like this:

Apple Account
Security Request
You have one unread message! <Click to View Message>.
LIO: (My Email Address was Here)
We appreciate your trust, and we'll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve.
Thanks,
The Apple team

One small problem - this security request, with a link for me to click to "read my message" was received at an email address not associated with my iTunes account. Needless to say, I did not click the link!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Do they thing "we" are THAT stupid? Probably... as they surely wouldn't continue this sort of thing. I suppose if such folks send out millions of these, they only need one person to keep it alive.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Do they thing "we" are THAT stupid? Probably... as they surely wouldn't continue this sort of thing. I suppose if such folks send out millions of these, they only need one person to keep it alive.

I get these kinds of phishing attempts all the time. PayPal is a big one - get a meal that says I have to update something and provides a link that purports to be a PayPal site. Sadly there are people who still fall for these scams.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:eagerness:

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I really get my knickers in a twist when I get that sort of e-mail. I just immediately delete it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just this min got an email telling me my McAfee antivirus subscription is up and I'm susceptible to viruses if I don't renew. Of course there's a "8-month free " deal if I renew
The only problem is that I don't use McAfee.
As Bas says "yeah right "!!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sad that no amount of anti-virus software will protect one from a con-job (phishing).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sad that no amount of anti-virus software will protect one from a con-job (phishing).
P.T. Barnum had it exactly right.