• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Good Movie, Bad Cars

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I just saw a very good movie I would highly recommend to anyone, Bridge of Spies, with Tom Hanks, set in the cold war, I won't go into the story, but it is very well done, and probably relevant to today without too much imagination involved.

However, since this is a car forum, I do have to add, there are a lot of street scenes, both in New York, and in Berlin, which is just getting the Berlin wall put up. Always love to see old cars in movies, as expected they are mostly all restored and shiny, but that, while not maybe entirely historically accurate, is a least forgivable. The really bad is some of the car choices, there is one seen with a late 40s model vehicle that is a thinly disguised street rod, it even had a loud and low V8 rumble, several cars that looked to be a year or two or three too new that were very peripheral to the scenes and action, and then, the worst, a Volvo P1800, a car not introduced until the early 60s, plays a major role in the movie, including a ride across east Berlin with the protagonist aboard.

I know not everyone in the world is a car guy, but auto model years are readily ascertainable, you would think in a movie with a multi million dollar budget someone could keep track of that kind of stuff, **** I would do it for a small stipend.

That being said I am not so obsessive about this stuff that it spoiled the movie for me, still a good flick.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - now I really want to see that movie.

As I don't know the details of the plot, I'm wondering how a P1800 could be a problem. The U2 incident occurred in 1960, and negotiations with the USSR continued through 1961, finally ending with Powers's release in February 1962. Wouldn't a P1800 be appropriate for that period?

Thanks.
Tom M.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
the worst, a Volvo P1800, a car not introduced until the early 60s, plays a major role in the movie, including a ride across east Berlin with the protagonist aboard.

i don't follow you here?

the wall went up in mid 1961.
(isn't that the setting for the movie)
the volvo P-1800 was introduced in 1961.
so the timeline seems to fit.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Well, my mistake then, I meant to mention the movie starts in 1957, or so the screen tells us, there was nothing in the narrative to indicate that years had gone by before the main character goes to Berlin to do the negotiations. Looks like the P1800 went on sale as a 1961 model starting in 1960, so that works with the historical timeframe of the movie. We still have the thinly disguised street rod, but of course people aren't restoring cars to look like 5-10 year old vehicles back in the day, with rust and dents and flat paint, I am sure it is hard to acquire the appropriate vehicles for period movies and TV shows. I will repeat that I do highly recommend the movie.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was recently watching a Movie called Mermaid, staring Ellen Berstyn. It's the (true) story of a little girl in California whose father had died. She ends up writing her father a letter and sending it to "heaven" via a helium ballon. The little girl loved the story of a mermaid her father used to read to her so she also drew a picture of a mermaid on the letter. The ballon ended up being found by a duck hunter in eastern Canada. The hunter and his family lived in a tiny community called, you guessed it, Mermaid.

Anyway, the family of the little girl gets contacted by the Canadian family and they end up flying to "Mermaid" in Canada.

In the scene where they are purportedly getting off the plane in Canada (I think a converted PBY), I noticed something not quite right. While the plane had Canadian markings, the registration was US (N-------). I sometimes notice small details like that.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In the late 70s, they were shooting the movie "The Brink's Job" in Boston's North End about an armored car facility robbery that took place in 1950. The streets were filled with period correct cars and great pains were taken to make the street scenes look correct. One of the film makers spotted a window air conditioner in one of the apartments in this tightly knit Italian working class neighborhood and dispatched a minion to deal with it. After some negotiations, a couple of hundred dollar bills were passed to make the air conditioner disappear. When they arrived to shoot the movie the next day the movie guys were shocked to find a street filled with new air conditioners in the apartment windows.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
When they arrived to shoot the movie the next day the movie guys were shocked to find a street filled with new air conditioners in the apartment windows.

capitalism at it's finest.
(though the gov't might be convinced the neighborhood profited from insider trading)

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I sometimes notice small details like that.

I'm bad to do the same thing. I know a movie isn't real, but I do expect a bit of realism in one. If I do find a problem, it kinda dulls the sensation and makes it seem less real to me. Several times I couldn't get past it and ruined a perfectly good movie. I'm kinda weird that way.:crazy:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just saw a very good movie I would highly recommend to anyone, Bridge of Spies, with Tom Hanks, set in the cold war, I won't go into the story, but it is very well done, and probably relevant to today without too much imagination involved.

We were on that bridge a few weeks ago and can't wait to see the movie.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I'll notice some historical errors, but tend to get caught more in continuity errors, like glasses that go from full to empty and back as a scene shifts back and forth. Or hair, clothes or other items that indicate angles are from multiple takes.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I noticed one glaring anachronism at the end of that picture. In Berlin, it was bleak, white winter. Back in Brooklyn a week later, it was summer with green leaves on the trees. BTW, there's a whole web site devoted to anachronisms and errors in that movie - which was well worth seeing BTW.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree the movie was outstanding- tom Hanks, Coen Bros. S. Spielberg. Gripping story for sure. Did anyone notice the TV dinners when the family was watching TV at the end of the movie? I also have noticed small things in movies. In the remake of True Grit there is a train that has Bettendorf trucks when Andrews truck would be the proper period truck.
Some stuff you just see but doesn't detract from the story.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I also have noticed small things in movies. In the remake of True Grit there is a train that has Bettendorf trucks when Andrews truck would be the proper period truck.
Some stuff you just see but doesn't detract from the story.

Dang, I have been a model railroader off and on for 40 years or so, I know the names, but don't think I would notice the difference. Of course I am an N scaler, and the details of the tiny black trucks don't exactly jump out to the naked eye. Regards, Greg

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
My eye goes to all the incorrect spellings on those banners in the news shows on the telly. KOAT here in Albuquerque seems to be the biggest offender. At least 2 or 3 a week. Drives me batty, it does.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It is my opinion that a lot of the misspellings and inappropriate word usage is due to the "reporters" tapping on hand-held "smart" devices with nobody checking the spelling/grammar before it gets put on the Big Screen.

Where are all the roof readers?!? :smirk: :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Attachments

• scooby.jpg~c200.jpg
    scooby.jpg~c200.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 83