• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fantasy Football?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've never been involved in the fantasy sports thing, but this morning's news was an eye opener for me.

Is there money involved in playing Fantasy Football?

I'd always thought it was just an online game where you "make your own team and see how they do".

Thanks.

Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've never been involved in the fantasy sports thing, but this morning's news was an eye opener for me.

Is there money involved in playing Fantasy Football?

I'd always thought it was just an online game where you "make your own team and see how they do".

Thanks.

Tom M.

Oh, Tom - there's money involved in EVERYthing... :wink:

https://www.fanduel.com/fantasy-football

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Mickey - that's probably what I mean. I'd thought the "money" end was just local friends with ten dollar bets against each other.

But reading that one FF employee "made" $350,000 was a bit overwhelming (to say the least). I'd never even heard of "DraftKings" or DraftDuel or whatever.

yikes.

Tom (a/k/a Babe in the Woods)

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom - You obviously don't listen to sports talk radio or watch NFL on TV. All you hear are ads for those 2 outfits you named.
I thought sports gambling was illegal except in NV There was an exception created in the Act for fantasy teams. It originally WAS between fans making small bets - but - as often happens in the Good Old US of A, some wiseguys saw an opportunity and took over. Although the ads show "little guys" winning, most winners are apparently sophisticated handicappers with a knowledge of salary caps, etc. Me? I confine my gambling to my weekly 25/50 cent poker game. (Why is there no cents sign on a computer keyboard?)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No cents? That doesn't make sense.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tom, Many of us play fantasy football with no money involved, just bragging rights. I have run a small football league and baseball league among friends. Some take it seriously, and for some it is a lark. Bibber is in both of my leagues, as is my youngest son's father-in-law who lives in Rugby UK, and knew nothing about either sport before he got involved in the challenge of beating me and Mike with his team. And Walter, there is a ¢ key on my iMac by typing option - 4.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The real money goes to the NFL and the television networks. This is a good read: https://qz.com/298042/the-bizarre-multi-billion-dollar-industry-of-american-fantasy-sports/ The states are starting to lick their chops to get a piece of the action. Last week the Massachusetts AG decided to "look into" whether the leagues were operating legally. This week, big surprise, the state treasurer opined that maybe the state should start its own fantasy league.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
(Why is there no cents sign on a computer keyboard?)
i think the cent sign went away due to inflation.

re: legalized gambling: here in SC there were privately held cash pay out video poker machines everywhere, up until about 15 years ago. Then the state declared all public gambling (& gambling machines) illegal, siting the addictive nature of gambling as their justification. (even sent a few bold or foolish folks to jail for not turning in their poker machines)..... then the powers that be started the state run lottery/powerball, selling lotto tickets from all the usual places. They call it the "education lottery". No pun intended.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Yea it's just for fun....Dave and I were in major battle to stay out of last place during this years baseball league. We both barely squeaked by. Football a different story for now were the top 2 teams!!!!

Dave our matchup is coming.....

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yeah Greg...I would not want to put any money on my "skill" with the fantasy teams, just some smack talk and enjoying competing against friends. I probably won't be undefeated anymore after this week's matchup, but I won't have any problems beating your BOLTS next week. :encouragement:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Fantasy Football = Dungeons and Dragons for sports fans.

There's all kinds of fantasy leagues: Fantasy Baseball, Basketball, even Fantasy NASCAR. None of that really interests me. If I have 3 or more hours to devote to being a couch potato to watch a sports contest, that's 3 hours I could spend doing something in the real world, like riding a bike or driving the Sprite...

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Each to his own - but I totally agree with you!

Tom

Fantasy Football = Dungeons and Dragons for sports fans.

There's all kinds of fantasy leagues: Fantasy Baseball, Basketball, even Fantasy NASCAR. None of that really interests me. If I have 3 or more hours to devote to being a couch potato to watch a sports contest, that's 3 hours I could spend doing something in the real world, like riding a bike or driving the Sprite...

:encouragement:

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Dave...ouch.....but you're probably right. I likewise have no reason being were I am in #2. The bizzare thing is the only game I've lost so far was by one point. Joelyboy is the guy on our league as you know that really puts the effort in...I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we're all chasing him again as usual...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm with SaxMan, I have better things to do. I'm on this thing, (computer), early in the morning and only go on it during the day to ask a question, usually car or farm equipment related. With farm chores, keeping the equipment maintained and watching over the families needs, I"m a pretty busy fellow. I don't have the time or interest in fantasizing anything, it's all real world to me. But, to each his/her own. :encouragement: PJ

Were taking a day off today to take the car to a show, that's our pleasure along with meeting people.