Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Beginning the TR2 Bodywork

Re: Beginning the TR2 Bodywork

He has to come visit me some day

Quote Originally Posted by hcallaway View Post
    I spend so many hours on my projects and so many more reading about build projects on about every type of car, truck, motorcycle and this thread tops them all. In terms of attention to detail, knowledge about the factory assembly methods, how to make panels fit, rework on top of reworking, dedication to a true labor of love, extreme planning and all the crafts that have been displayed on saving a wayward old British Car. Hats off!!! Documenting this build is a whole other area that deserves our accolades. If I keep on going my wife will accuse me of a man crush. Thanks again, maybe one day this car might make it to the Virginia area, I would go out of my way to see the finished product.
    JP TS 35123 L (Family Resto)
    I can only gauge the quality of a friendship based on how hard it will be to shoot you when you turn into a Zombie; R.S.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pucman/...7608177739192/
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u418/Pucman1/TR3A/

Chats

Thanks, guys. Like I said, you were all a source for knowledge and inspiration as I went along. Helping each other out is the way these Triumphs keep living longer than we do!

Hoyt, here is the thread about beading sources. It all seems to be the same stuff, basically, but I ordered mine from the UK to get the black. That way when the beading gets scratched it won't show through with the white that Moss sells.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/s...2-Wing-Beading

At the end of the project I'll post all the threads that were essential in getting me here.
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

The bird is loving the door stands...
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

See he has started to work in the wood on his left.

David

Chats

You noticed! It'll be down to toothpicks within the month.
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

Today I have officially declared the TR2 "restored". There are a handful of things to work on, but I will consider those general maintenance. Anyway, just closing out this thread with the promised body pictures...

Hope ya'll enjoyed the ride to get here as much as I did.

I think I'm going to start looking for an XKE in need of attention...

Cheers!
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Not a XK120 or XK140?

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Simply Stunning! Congratulations.

Just out of curiosity how much would you say you used of base coat and clear coat for the entire restoration? And dare I ask, how much was the cost for it?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    Simply Stunning! Congratulations.

Just out of curiosity how much would you say you used of base coat and clear coat for the entire restoration? And dare I ask, how much was the cost for it?
    About 1-1/2 gallon of color with clear on the outer panels. About 2 gallons of primer. For PPG the cost of paint is well north of $1k. Which brings up a good point. Once I was getting a bone stock 1971 Olds convertible back on the road. I was going bare bones low budget on it, so I went in and asked my supplier (same one I use today) for the cheapest paint he sells. He gave me the ole' side glance and asked if I was sure I wanted to go that route. "Sure", says I! I walked out for about $200. Painted the car, but I had to go back for a little more, since the coverage on that paint sucked. So that was another $100. The car looked great!

But, 2 months later it was starting to look dull. Wax didn't help, so I buffed it out again. That lasted a month. Same thing...wax to no avail and buff it again. This went on for 2 years...waxing every single week...buffing every couple months, until the paint started to show through. I had to strip the trim, sand and repaint the car again after only 2 years. And this is for a car kept in a garage!

Modern urethane paints impose significant sticker shock the first time you use them. But they will last 10 years sitting on the street...and the life of the car if you store it indoors. You can get by cheaper, if you truly want to try. But the thing to think about is that your labor is the most costly thing in a re-finish. Look at the 2 years I put into this tiny Triumph getting it ready for that final paint coat. Compared to the value of the prep time and the lifespan of a restored car, a couple thousand for paint is irrelevant. And if you think PPG or DuPont paints are pricey, check out a what a gallon of the Glasurit I used on my mid-year Vettes costs!

Edit: Just sitting here looking at the Olds. I really miss that car. The whole family could ride and it was in the Fort Worth Newspaper 3 times, just from reporters catching sight of it while I drove it every day. A neighbor pestered me for 3 years before he caught me at a weak moment and I sold it to him. Funny how of all the cars that come and go in your life...you bond with only a handful that you don't appreciate until after you sell them.

And note the different (old) tires I kept to stay in budget? The right front blew apart and beat the car so badly it broke the windshield. This is the restoration that cured me of going bottom budget. After that I don't buy the car if I don't have the money to restore it right.
    Last edited by CJD; 08-25-2017 at 05:31 AM.
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

No project is finished until the fat lady sings. Well, yesterday she sang. My oldest daughter is back living with us. With twins in the house of driving age, we are out of driveway parking space, so the TR2 is now stashed safely away in the storage shed where most of her has been living...in pieces...for the last 5 years. She'll come out monthly to get exercised. All that remained was the clean -up.

She was smelted of the last of the high grade iron ore in the United States, shipped to Coventry as pig iron, and rolled and forged into the Triumph that returned to cruise the highways of America through the great years of Route 66. Most of her is back on the road, ready for more adventure. Some of her is now returning to the steel mills, this time in Japan, to start a new life...

...but I bet it won't be a life as exciting as when she was a Triumph Roadster 20 series!
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Not sure I can do justice but I will try....really amazing. Thanks for sharing it all. Including the "finished" pictures. If you are OK with posting a few more interior pictures, I would love to see.
    Steve

TR3A - 1958 - British Racing Green
    TR4 - 1962 CT16758LO - Red, Wire Wheels, and Surrey Top - Owned for 25 years and restored.