• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Sorry...I think I cleaned out EBAY

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, after 3 years of diligently shopping for parts, I have found nothing worth buying for the last 5 months. The last 3 parts I bought turned out to be unusable junk when it arrived. So, sorry to all, but I am pretty sure I cleaned EBAY out of all the TR2 parts! I'm still short seats and a radiator. Bummer.

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have also noticed a fairly dramatic decline in the number of useful items for my TR on eBay. maybe it just seems that way because there are so many more duplicative ads saying "fits TR2". Where is the good stuff!

Dan

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Well, after 3 years of diligently shopping for parts, I have found nothing worth buying for the last 5 months. The last 3 parts I bought turned out to be unusable junk when it arrived. So, sorry to all, but I am pretty sure I cleaned EBAY out of all the TR2 parts! I'm still short seats and a radiator. Bummer.
Are the TR2 seat frames different or just the covers and padding? I know that the earlier passenger seat didn't tilt but other differences? Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
A rare item for TR4s is on there right now -- NOS Delco brake light switch. This can be hard to find used but a fellow in Israel has a quantity of new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310720273858

Shipped very quickly all things considered and I can tell from the brass spades that it has never been used.

Yeah, lots of other switches will work but I'm just particular enough to want an original style. It is the only Delco part I've ever come across on a TR.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have noticed the same thing in general with old British car parts. I used to buy and sell quite a bit on ebay, but it has gotten a little crazy. Between eBay and paypal fees I think you end up paying about 15% on what you sell, and shipping costs for anything over a couple pounds that doesnt fit in a priority mail flat rate box are getting pretty crazy.

Plus the eBay policy of charging little or nothing to list but more when you sell. These policies and changes seem to be driving the reasonable priced by hobbyist for hobbyist used parts at reasonable prices and so now you have dealers listing the same old stuff for crazy prices over and over again, and all the seat covers and steering wheel covers and crap to dig through, and the stashes of reasonably priced used stuff is few and far between. Craigslist has added a "search nearby areas" function that is pretty helpful but might not help that much with TR2 patts.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I always add '-fits' to my search to reduce the clutter and usually look only at auctions, not 'buy-it-now'. That reduces the listings from many thousands to a hundred or so.

I do always include 'TR2' in my search as some sellers list parts for 'tr2-4' and a search for TR3 or TR4 will not find them.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I have bought everything TR related off ebay. Have ya'll noticed the amount of junk offers lately, totally unrelated when you search for TR parts? It's like 30 off the wall unrelated parts for every real TR part. If I could now just make myself stop checking...!

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
+1 on adding "-fits" to all my ebay searches. I got tired of all claims of the electronic equipment that "fits" my TR3!

Bill
TS63273L

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Like power windows...

Cheers
Tush

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't used eBay in quite a while- I hopped on again recently and I'm shocked at most of the pricing I'm seeing now. Run of the mill stuff, not cleaned up, at prices more than a new part at Moss or TRF. Sad!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Wait...you mean power windows won't fit my TR. bummer! What'll I ask for Christmas now??

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Triumph Auction Watch is a decent alternative. But hey, if the bay fills up with total junk that "fits", then TR enthusiasts will stop looking through it, and some things will start slipping through!

Dan

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am almost positive John with your skill set that you could make something work:emmersed:

Cheers
Tush

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Your post got me back on the site; I haven't used it regularly in quite some time. Here's why:
My search for Triumph TR3 parts yielded 14,051 results. Going to vintage parts narrowed it to 1,871. My random check of new parts prices produced 0 results that were below that charged by traditional suppliers for the same part. Narrowed again to used parts and got 483 and eliminated the exorbitant Buy it Now option and down to 65 items. At that reasonable number I went through the complete list and found one that appeared to me to be a decent buy so I put in my bid and was immediately outbid. Then I thought of the number of times I've been sniped at the last second and wisely did not bid again. Why bother?

Perhaps the good news to come of all this is that there seemed to me to some very decent buys at the vendor tables at the Stowe Vt show this year. Hope that trend continues.

Finally, posting needed items on this and the classified section seems to be worthwhile. I for one would be interested in helping others afflicted by this hobby and cleaning out the barn at the same time, without making a killing.

Tom

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Can't seem to come up with a link that works for triumphauctionwatch.com - keep receiving a "server not found" error message. Are they defunct?