• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 1/4 mile fast time driving technique

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I haven't tried to time my basically stock TR3 for off the line performance but I am curious about best technique,particurally how a factory test driver would get the best time,usually reported around 18 seconds for a 1/4 mile.
What would be the ideal rpm shift points etc.,
Thanks
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would suppose with an unmodified engine you would shift at redline unless you had reason to believe that you could safely go higher (or didn't much care which is possibly how a factory driver would treat the car).

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Dump the clutch from about 3000 rpm to start, and shift at the redline full throttle as quickly as possible. I had a chance to do quarter mile times in my TR250 a couple years ago and was able to get pretty consistent times (don't know if they were best possible, but they were consistent!)

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Putting a stock TR3 on the dragstrip reminds me of the time a farmer I once knew hitched up a pair of milking cows for the ox pulling contest at the town Fair.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Putting a stock TR3 on the dragstrip reminds me of the time a farmer I once knew hitched up a pair of milking cows for the ox pulling contest at the town Fair.
Tom

Yep...shift whenever you like, cause the Prius you're racing is going to win unless his battery goes flat.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yep...shift whenever you like, cause the Prius you're racing is going to win unless his battery goes flat.

Thanks for the responses and humor.I have no intention of drag racing,but the factory obviously tested the cars in the 1/4 mile drag format.
I actually think that winding up to redline in all gears is not the fastest,but was curious what expertise might be out there.
Thanks
tom

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you look at the graph and charts from this Sports Car Illustrated article it seems they shifted at the red line in 1st and 2nd and stayed in 3rd until they finished the 1/4. They cut .6 sec off their 0-60 time by shifting from 2nd to 2nd overdrive instead of making the 2-3 shift. They probably played around with different launch rpms to see what gave them the best times: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5xnnKbPEWx5Z2h5V2JiTmF2Wkk/edit

Last edited:
OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Rick.That is just the kind of of info I was curious about.Lots of good stuff in the article,thanks again
Tom

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Why flog a 50 year old motor?

A. It is fun
B. It is kind of what they were made for
C. Triumph TR 4 Cylinders are pretty tough old beasts, I flogged the **** out of my 4A as only a 20 year old can and never broke anything in the motor (of course it was only about 15 years old then)

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
C. Triumph TR 4 Cylinders are pretty tough old beasts, I flogged the **** out of my 4A as only a 20 year old can and never broke anything in the motor (of course it was only about 15 years old then)

Me, too. Though I did break the front suspension mount (but it was previously broken anyway).

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Me too, front suspension mount, actually popped as I carefully was backing up to parallel park, hit the brakes and it snapped. Am am sure prior abuse and metal fatigue had nothing to do with it.....

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I would imagine you want to keep the engine between peak torque and peak horsepower rpm. But going a bit past the peak to redline would give the benefit of lower gearing for a better multiplier effect, which would more than compensate for a small drop in power past the peak. I found in racing that it is possible to change gears with only a dip of the clutch, not fully disengaging as you would do in normal driving. This would reduce the brief time interval when the engine is not driving the car forward.
A close ratio second would be a really big help, but that's another matter!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Take out the clutch spring for a few more milliseconds on the shift...or adjust the linkage to 0 play.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I would imagine you want to keep the engine between peak torque and peak horsepower rpm. But going a bit past the peak to redline would give the benefit of lower gearing for a better multiplier effect, which would more than compensate for a small drop in power past the peak. I found in racing that it is possible to change gears with only a dip of the clutch, not fully disengaging as you would do in normal driving. This would reduce the brief time interval when the engine is not driving the car forward.
A close ratio second would be a really big help, but that's another matter!

Now we're getting into the area of shaving tenths, aka "destructive testing", aka "It's not my car, what the ****?" Tach up the motor and "sidestep the clutch" (allowing your left foot to slide off the side of the clutch pedal and let the clutch lever bang up to the top for immediate clutch engagement. Preload the shift lever for the 1-2 shift and when you're near the shift point, dab the clutch and yank the lever back into 2nd, then to 3rd, etc. This is literally known as "banging gears." (aka speed shifting).Sometimes these shifts are made without dipping the clutch. Disclaimer: My familiarity with these procedures should in no way be considered an acknowledgement of unsanctioned contests of speed. :angel:

Last edited: