• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

London Black Cab

paul9999

Freshman Member
Hello all,

looking for fellow black cab owners!

last year I bought a 1965 Austin FX4 - it runs, turns and stops, so no complaints there, but would like to trade ideas, help and horror stories with other owners!

Thanks

Paul (1965 Austin FX4, 1961 Austin mini cabrio)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Where's the pictures? PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome Paul! yes, pictures indeed. I suspect you might be the only Cab owner on this forum - but, please don't leave! we need variety around here

OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
took me this long to get photos!! ha ha
attachment.php
attachment.php

regards

paul

Attachments

• 1965-Austin-FX4-FX47391-2880.jpg
    1965-Austin-FX4-FX47391-2880.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 267
  • taxi.jpg
    taxi.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 261

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We had two of the older cabs in our club, but the owner sold them. Get this! they went back to England.

Nice looking car and very different for our forum.

Jerry

Country flag
That's very cool! But what are all those foreign cars in the second picture? Those are Cadillacs, which are French, right? ;)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only looking at the exterior, it looks like a very nice example. Is it a diesel or gas? I wouldn't change a thing on it, leave it as original, it will carry a higher dollar value if you do. No radios or odd ball trinkets should be put in it and even keep the original upholstery if possible. It's hard for some folks to remember that they were a working machine, not a personal driver. They don't look right in any other format. JMHO. PJ

OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
Planning on keeping it is original as possible. It is a diesel, so a little hard to start in the cooler weather, but once it's going it ticks (or is that "rattles") along forever.
We took it on the Woodward Dreamcruise a couple of weekends ago and it got a ton of interest, even though we were surrounded by muscle cars, supercars and wierd and wonderful examples of engineering.

paul

OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
OK guys, an electrical question for you.

In the cab I have two batteries - and if I fully charge them, within a few days there is not enough power to start the engine (diesel). It may turn over a couple of time, then just "click click nothing"
I have charged both in the cab, then disconnected both and after a day or two measure about 12.7V on one and 11.2 on the other.

Can one battery be killing the other?

thanks

Paul

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Paul - anything's possible if you don't know the car's history (and "improvements")!

How are the batteries wired? I'd assume that you have two batteries for a reason, if two are original to the car. One maybe for starting, second for operating (radio, lights, etc.). What voltage are the two batteries? Note: many older diesel engines needed two batteries to provide the amps needed to turn over that high compression engine.

Certainly possible that the batteries are way too old and don't hold a charge. Plus, I always use a battery quick disconnect, to prevent voltage drain. Example:

340.jpg

Do you have a wiring diagram and/or service manual for the car?

Tom
PS - I've got a copy of the owner's manual for the 1969 version. Glad to email it to you. Also, you might find this site helpful - London Vintage Taxi:

https://www.lvta.co.uk/archive.htm

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTIN-FX4...IES-/310686870336?hash=item4856616b40&vxp=mtr

In the cab I have two batteries - and if I fully charge them, within a few days there is not enough power to start the engine (diesel). It may turn over a couple of time, then just "click click nothing"
I have charged both in the cab, then disconnected both and after a day or two measure about 12.7V on one and 11.2 on the other.

thanks

Paul

Last edited:
OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
Tom,

I think it came with dual batteries - I assumed wired in series, but will check this evening to see if one does starting and the other, everything else.

I did consider a disconnect, but both have been so this week and one battery is definitely dying.

would be interested in seeing you owner's manual. I do have one on order but not due for a little while

thanks

Paul

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Nice cab! I stumbled on this thread just out of curiosity.

The battery that is at 11.2 volts is dead. 12.7V is fully charged. Assuming the two are supposed to work together, the 11.2V is draining the other.

OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
John,

thanks for the info - I did get the lower voltage one checked, and yes, it is dead.
bought a new one and problem solved!

One seems to drive the starter only and the other everything else.

regards

Paul

OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
Question for the group.....

I am tracking the multitude of electrical issues this cab has (and it looks like somebody has had a go in the past and given up!)
I have found a blown fuse but have no idea what rating fuse goes where - there are two fuse boxes, each with (i think) four circuits. There are no markings I can find and the existing fuses are an eclectic mix of ratings and variations on the "glass tube" type.

Any ideas? Can I calculate the best rating for that circuit?

thanks in advance

Paul

Cabbie

Freshman Member
Hi Paul, My husband I just bought a 1967, Austin FX4 Diesel cab. I found a workshop manual on Ebay called Taxi & Hire car Series FL2, FL2D, FX4 and FX4D. I did not catch what your exact model number is, however, this manual has electrical diagrams in it. I have some electrical work that needs to be done on our cab, so I have a feeling it will get used quite a bit.

My cab also has two batteries and I have noticed while playing with my dash that you have to be sure that you have the main energy toggle switch off every time you leave your cab. If you do not, the battery will continue to charge whatever option that might have been left on. I am sure you already know this, so I hope you have been able to sort your battery issue by now. As I see this post is from 2015. Kristine

Last edited:
OP
paul9999

paul9999

Freshman Member
Hi Kritine,
mine is a 65 Austin FX4 so probably identical to yours.

there is a main energy toggle switch?? I never knew that.
Which one is it? I have several switches unmarked

thanks in advanced

Paul

eyearedan

Freshman Member
I just got a 1976 FX4. it seems like it would be easy to get info on this, but dang, everytime I try to find a Youtube or other info, its just not there.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Some diesel vehicles with duel batteries were set up for 24 volt starting and 12 volt for the rest of the vehicle, I don't know a thing about the British cabs electrical system, just throwing that out there for a possibility. A battery with a shorted plate in a series duel battery system can pull the other battery down. PJ