• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG Indy or Bust!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The latter being a possibility, I guess... first road trip for the GT. Heading to Indianapolis in a few minutes for the British V8 gathering. Looks like the weather's going to cooperate - not too hot, which is good, as I wasn't able to get the A/C up and running. Blower motor was DOA and had to send the unit back to the vendor.

Anyway, will post pics as I get them, along with some commentary about the trip. Never been there, and several tours are planned: track, museum, car collections, etc. Should be fun!

Mickey

Never been there, and several tours are planned: track, museum, . Should be fun!

Mickey

It WILL be fun! We will visit the Ray Skillman Collector Car Showroom on Thursday, the Dallara Indycar Chassis Factory on Friday, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum (and take a Grounds Tour) on Saturday. We have tech sessions scheduled every day (including one from Meguires) as well as an autocross on Saturday afternoon. We've rented a motorcoach to take us to downtown Indy on Thursday evening and will be going to the Union Jack Pub on Friday evening.....and don't forget the luggage cart races! (grin).

attachment.php

Attachments

• Time Trials - Cart Racing.jpg
    Time Trials - Cart Racing.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 106

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - made it after several stops for repairs. Mine took a few minutes - issue with accelerator cable and pedal sticking; other person traveling in the group had some problems with misfiring which took three different stops and is still not corrected. Add breakfast and lunch stops and the trip took almost twice as long as it should have. But we're here! And that's what's important. The GT performed very well, aside from the cable/pedal glitch. Checked mileage and doing 70-75 got 24 mpg. Pretty happy with that!

Pictures when we started, and once we arrived:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rick tells me there are over 70 entries here. Great bunch of folks who couldn't care less about trophies or plaques. Just kindred spirits sharing experiences and good times. As he posted above, lots of activities to keep us busy, especially those of us who've never been to Indy. Looking forward to it!

Past my bedtime! Will post more later.

Mickey

Attachments

• PICT0763.jpg
    PICT0763.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0764.jpg
    PICT0764.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 86
  • PICT0765.jpg
    PICT0765.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 87
  • PICT0766.jpg
    PICT0766.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 89

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm kinda jealous.

By-th-by, is that a TR6 lurkin' in that row of MG's?!? :scared:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm kinda jealous.

By-th-by, is that a TR6 lurkin' in that row of MG's?!? :scared:

Yep - several of them here, along with a couple of Jags (XJ6 and E-Type). Very nice MGA as well.

Couple of tech sessions this morning, then off to see the Skillman Collection this afternoon. Plenty of cars for sale there, if anyone wants to place an order...

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh yeah - neglected to mention that this is the first long-distance trip (about 400 miles) in the GT. The longest I'd driven before this was about 35-40 miles round-trip. Odometer hit 1000 miles along the way.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Couple more pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0755.jpg
    PICT0755.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0752.jpg
    PICT0752.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0754.jpg
    PICT0754.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0753.jpg
    PICT0753.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 83
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A few pictures from Ray Skillman Auto Collection:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rest assured, it's an auto lover's overload. A definite must-see when you're in Indy.

Attachments

• PICT0756.jpg
    PICT0756.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 45
  • PICT0757.jpg
    PICT0757.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PICT0758.jpg
    PICT0758.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT0759.jpg
    PICT0759.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 83
  • PICT0760.jpg
    PICT0760.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0761.jpg
    PICT0761.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 84
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Lots of rain yesterday late afternoon and evening - kinda changed the activity a bit, but everyone's still enjoying the camaraderie. Today we're heading out to the Speedway to tour the track and the museum. Autocross this afternoon, banquet tonight, and then home tomorrow.

Mickey

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This morning we went to the Speedway. Had a great behind-the-scenes tour of the facility which included a visit to the 10th-floor suite; highest point of the track. I've never visited here, so it was pretty interesting. Gave me a fresh new appreciation of this place and the sport.

A few pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

One for Doc:

attachment.php

A Bentley!:

attachment.php

Richard Petty Experience participant crossing the brick start/finish line:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0752.jpg
    PICT0752.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0753.jpg
    PICT0753.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0756.jpg
    PICT0756.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 79
  • PICT0759.jpg
    PICT0759.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PICT0768.jpg
    PICT0768.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 79

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That Alfa engine has a hair dryer attached to it! :smirk:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made it back home yesterday afternoon. Quite the experience! This was the true maiden voyage/test of the GT conversion, and all things considered, it did very well. Found a few issues to address, but all in all I'm very pleased with it.

However, riding in a couple of the V8 beasties almost got me second-guessing the V6... :wink:

Again, my thanks to Rick Ingram and company for putting this together. Meeting in Townsend this coming October and next May, if anyone's interested.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Two questions. First, did you hand out any BCF cards?
Second, where are the pictures (of you)?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Two questions. First, did you hand out any BCF cards?
Second, where are the pictures (of you)?

Didn't have any cards, but I did wear my BCF T-shirt.

As for pictures, here's one at the closing dinner:

attachment.php

Attachments

• zMeoBEM1wSiXaD2Uv2Ajp8GgAK3_yJFv7FyoLNyJSHbrKaIS8hhgymJlCIjN-gwtdCXvHA=w1856-h793.jpg
    zMeoBEM1wSiXaD2Uv2Ajp8GgAK3_yJFv7FyoLNyJSHbrKaIS8hhgymJlCIjN-gwtdCXvHA=w1856-h793.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 62
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice group!

Yes, it is! These folks are as unpretentious as can be. As I mentioned earlier, no trophies to win and everyone willing to share knowledge, offer as well as ask for advice, etc. There are some extremely nice cars with quite a bit of engineering and artistry in them. And there are some fairly rough-looking, well-worn cars as well. All are equal; no one is snubbed. There is the light-hearted teasing those of us with "only" six cylinders: "Your lack of cylinders is disturbing." But then in the next breath is a compliment on how you solved a particular issue with the installation. The only expectations are to enjoy our cars and each other's company. Glad to be a part of it, and can't wait for the next one.

Yes, it is! These folks are as unpretentious as can be. As I mentioned earlier, no trophies to win and everyone willing to share knowledge, offer as well as ask for advice, etc. There are some extremely nice cars with quite a bit of engineering and artistry in them. And there are some fairly rough-looking, well-worn cars as well. All are equal; no one is snubbed. There is the light-hearted teasing those of us with "only" six cylinders: "Your lack of cylinders is disturbing." But then in the next breath is a compliment on how you solved a particular issue with the installation. The only expectations are to enjoy our cars and each other's company. Glad to be a part of it, and can't wait for the next one.

attachment.php

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Mickey!

See you in Townsend!

Attachments

• Thumbs Up Front View.jpg
    Thumbs Up Front View.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold