• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey 3000 restoration help and advice please...

Lleroy

Freshman Member
I've bought an Austin Healey 1963 3000 that was in an accident a while back. Car was advertized as full restoration project. The person I bought the car from stripped just about every part he could for another Healey he was restoring. No chassis number. The car I bought was basically the body(on frame), seats, windscreen(broken) and grille. No engine,gearbox, suspension etc.
I've had the body panel beaten and spray painted(attached images).
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I have been searching for an Engine, gearbox and other parts here in South Africa without any success. I can not find a engine, gearbox or suspension for my Healey. Importing these parts will cost a fortune unfortunately which I can not afford.

Another Healey owner suggested the following and I have no Idea if this would work.
He suggested buying an Austin Westminster A110 and using it's suspension, diff, gearbox and engine for my Healey, since its the same parts.
So my question to anyone would be - Is this true, will this work?
I found a guy selling his 1965 Austin Westminster A110 in perfect running condition and low mileage on the clock(body is rusted and worn). The A110's are also quite scarce cars to find in this condition so I don't want to miss this opportunity.(see images)
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

If I buy this car, will I be able to use its suspension/chassis, diff, engine and gearbox for my Healey?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Lleroy 1963 Healey 3000 before spray.jpg
    Lleroy 1963 Healey 3000 before spray.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Lleroy 1963 Healey 3000.jpg
    Lleroy 1963 Healey 3000.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Lleroy Healey 3000.jpg
    Lleroy Healey 3000.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 283

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Lleroy, you are in what some might consider an enviable situation. Many of us don't want to modify our Healeys too much because we started out with such complete cars. In your case, you can do so many options. If it were me I would put a small block Ford engine in it with a Tremec 5-speed and a Ford 9" rear. What a long distance tourer you would have then. Maybe Healey Rick will chime in here with his Modified BJ7. Dave.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Maybe Healey Rick will chime in here with his Modified BJ7. Dave.

Lleroy,

I am almost positive the motor and gearbox from the Westminster will fit, but don't know about other parts. Nevertheless, Westminsters are rarer in the States than Healeys so I wouldn't go ahead on my opinion. Perhaps more were imported to Canada and some of our Canadian members may have a better opinion. Better yet, you might try posting on the UK Healey forum, they are probably more knowledgeable on interchangeability. https://healey.hyperboards.com/

I have no clue what modifications the authorities allow in So. Africa or whether you want to modify your car with an alternative driveline. It's certainly more work than replacing with parts meant to go into the car originally, but can also end up in a superior performing car. You can see my car here: https://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264 Here, Ford and Chevrolet V8s are the common choice, but I've seen BMW and Nissan sixes used and some talk of a Lexus V8. If you wish to go down that road, PM an I can give you some advice.

BTW, that's a very handsome color combination on your car.

OP
L

Lleroy

Freshman Member
Thanks Dave. I was considering building it up as a modern car. Most Healey enthusiast told me to rather used the A110 as it would be more original. I'm in two minds about it. The A110 cost less than what it would cost if I bought all the parts separately though. The Ford engine doesn't sound like a bad idea. That would make it better for daily use I guess. Thanks for the advice and input.

OP
L

Lleroy

Freshman Member
Hello Rick. Thanks for the input. Wow, that mod page of your is impressive. I was considering the Lexus v8. That would be ideal. Sourcing a new engine and gearbox wont be a problem. Doing the suspension and the rest of the parts worries me. I'll take up your offer on pm, thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've had the body panel beaten and spray painted(attached images).

Well Lleroy:
Something you may want to consider in spite of the excellent body work.
if you now go to install an engine,gearbox,suspension you may find that the body panels will no longer fit perfectly. The amount of misalignment you may encounter I simply do not know hopefully not too much
---MY Regards.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm pretty sure with two light holes in front it's not a 1963. anyone?

Nope that is Phase 11 BJ8--Good upgrade-???

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Euro delivery. Here is my 1963 BJ-7.

Attachments

• 2013-02-09 006.jpg
    2013-02-09 006.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 2013-02-09 007.jpg
    2013-02-09 007.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2013-02-09 008.jpg
    2013-02-09 008.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Austin A110 also had the 3 litre engines as opposed to the earlier 2.6 litre. It might be the way to go, otherwise you will be very much going down the custom 'resto mod' route.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Yes that is true, my heritage cert. says German spec also. It should have also came without winged knock offs but the octagon knock offs instead. Mine also has a steering column lock. double rear lights also (small size not large BJ8 style.)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hello Rick. Thanks for the input. Wow, that mod page of your is impressive. I was considering the Lexus v8. That would be ideal. Sourcing a new engine and gearbox wont be a problem. Doing the suspension and the rest of the parts worries me. I'll take up your offer on pm, thanks.

I think you're right. You need so many parts to complete your car that the engine and transmission are the least of your worries. It might be most economical to find an old rusty Healey and have it shipped to SA. But I'm sure that would be expensive also.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's another option. After a friend wrecked his V8 Healey, he built a custom chassis and fitted it with modern suspension parts. You can see his fine work here: https://www.patmcmahonracing.com/gallery/1967_Austin_Healy_Mod Superperformance builds there Cobra replicas in SA and perhaps could be a source of suspension pieces. Again, wouldn't be inexpensive but you'd have the best of both worlds ... Healey looks and Cobra performance.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've been surprised at times that no one on the forum ever questioned the lighting on my 1963 BJ7.
It was dispatched to Dusseldorf, Germany in early '63. It also has the steering column/ignition lock.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF1313.JPG
    Copy of DSCF1313.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 86

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Lleroy, I don't want to sound critical here at all. This is just for conversation sake. Number one, I think your Healey is beautiful. And from the pictures it looks like good workmanship. I agree with Keoke that there is a risk of doing the body without the mechanicals installed. We don't really know how the frame may flex after being weighted with the engine, trans, etc and then being put on it's wheels. But having said that, I don't believe it will be much. I left my engine, trans, etc in place while I did the body and when it was all done and I put it back on it's wheels, the top of the door gaps closed up just a smidgen that could not even be measured in Fractions of an inch. But it did move some. The engine and trans will help to hold the front 2/3rds of the car. But it is the back that is hard to replicate it's loading.
Even though there is significant structural changes to be made to Modify a Healey, It is my opinion that all of it can be done without messing up that beautiful body that you have already completed. Any good LIVE AXEL rear end with the proper width can be put in quite easily. Now I must say that I don't know the car building culture in South Africa, but in the US there are shops in every town almost that are capable of the work. The engine and trans configurations have already been work out by the Modified Healey crowd. That leaves the Front Suspension. If you look at all the custom PRO TOURING, PRO STREET & HOT ROD BUILDS going on, I think you will find that any kind of suspension can be bolted into the front of the Healey with some routine welding for bracketry. And I believe it can all be done without disturbing that beautiful paint job. As example, check out the 'HOT ROD GARAGE" on Youtube to see what has been built into any car. "Detroit Speed" and others have suspension systems, etc. with A-Arms, Shock mounts, & Coil Over springs and more that are just about bolt in systems. I just wanted to speak about the possibilities. Enjoy, Dave.

busybrit

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The diff is the same as the healey diff's from after the spiral bevel axle of the earlier 100's. The axle should be very similar, if not the same as most Healey's. But it won't have the brkts for the later BJ8 bars which came with the phase II Bj8's.

Johnb