• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission tunnel removal

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I need to remove the transmission tunnel on my BN6 in order to do some OD troubleshooting. It's a fiberglass tunnel and so far I removed all the screws from the tunnel flange that screw down into the floor/chassis. I am assuming there is also a flange that screws into the bulkhead (see attached pics). One issue I am having is that the carpet on the tunnel trims very neatly where it meets the bulkhead and I am concerned about causing damage to the interior. I'm guessing that if I peel back the carpeting on the bulkhead, I will expose the tunnel flange and gain access to the screws? And hopefully everything will go back neatly.

A related issue is that after I removed all the screws from the floor attachment, I figured the tunnel would be loosened somewhat and I would be able to lift the tunnel slightly. I even tried prying it up from underneath the car and it does not move. Is it possible that the restorer glued the tunnel to the chassis /floor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• tunnel-1.JPG
    tunnel-1.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 105
  • tunnel-2.JPG
    tunnel-2.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 105

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm guessing that if I peel back the carpeting on the bulkhead, I will expose the tunnel flange and gain access to the screws? And hopefully everything will go back neatly.

YEP ,But it might take just a wee bit of ahesive to make it lay smooth again.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Steve
from your FIRST photo ___ It appear (to me) to be riveted to the floor /If I see correctly NOW you can drill the rivets and then sobst. it with screws
GLUE the steel is not impossible but very hard to do, and a very strange application
On this Google album https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/BN4LongbridgeCARPETSAndINSULATION
you can find the sistem normaly (screw inox is better 6or8 on floor and 3 on sheed) used to fit the tunnel on floor / but it can vary by the restorer preference
example I have prefered the VELCRO strips at gluing the carpets on tunneln and do a window for the gearbox OIL STICK

your carpet appear correctly applied use care in the removing

kozelding

Country flag
Yes, there are screws along the bulkhead flange. Hopefully you can gently peel the carpet back enough to get to them....

In my car, the carpet piece covering the removable tunnel was tucked very tightly, and quite far along, under the piece covering the rear (fixed) tunnel, and it took quite a bit of grunt to get things moving. I know some people do put caulk around the base of the tunnel too, which may be sticking.

FWIW, I have a metal tunnel that, I'm guessing, was reworked a bit during restoration. My challenge is always figuring out the pub/bar puzzle of how to get the tunnel out without removing the parking brake assembly. (Start lifting with the transmission in 1st gear, clear the parking brake, rotate 90 degrees, select 4th gear, slide back, et cetera, et cetera.)

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the info, and yes andrea, the carpet is correctly applied and looks very neat (KT restoration) so I will try to be careful...and thanks for the link with the useful photos.