• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone know anything about Jensen Healeys?

alta2017

Freshman Member
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for advice on buying a 1974 Jensen Healey. The car has 21,000 mi, a 4 speed Lotus 907 twin cam engine, comes with the soft and hard top, has great interior, and is in overall great repair. Please message me or reply if you know any thing.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi, congratulations on finding one of these! The Jensen Healey was named as Hemmings' Sports & Exotic Car magazine's top convertible buys in the current issue. Mechanically you can still find just about anything that you need to make repairs, and so if the body is free from rust it's a good bet.

The Lotus 907 engine did had some issues early on, but these have been addressed, and the general consensus is that if a car is till on the road today it will have received the necessary care by now. Here is a quote:

The 907's endemic oiling and cooling shortcomings are extremely well known at this point, and any example that's running today is very likely going to have benefitted from improved components. But that black mark, still remembered, tends to hold prices down.In many ways, the Jensen Healey is the British sports car for the Seventies that could have been, and should have been. It features modern unit-body construction, unlike some of its body-on-chassis contemporaries. It offers a commodious cabin, with later versions featuring trim that borders on the cushy. It has a suspension developed under the eye of Donald Healey himself, whose deal with British Leyland had come to an end. Later versions, those built beginning in late 1974, even offer a Getrag five-speed. And it can out-perform contemporaries like the Datsun 240Z and the Triumph TR6, thanks to that lovely, 140-hp Lotus twin-cam. If you like, you can have the same engine in a Lotus Europa--you'll just pay twice as much for the privilege.As with any undervalued car, you have to beware of neglected examples that might need repairs that exceed the car's value. Rust can be reason enough to walk away from a car, though the cars are well enough catered to in the aftermarket that mechanical problems usually aren't the kiss of death.Get your hands on a good one, and you won't look back. -David LaChance

So, what David said... If you have found a good one, you won't look back! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
A friend of mine bought one new. Nothing but trouble and more trouble. He wound up suing the dealer and the company. I don't remember how he made out. Like the Edsel, the J-H was the answer to a question no one asked. That said, it might be an interesting project if the car isn't too clapped out. Check that suspension and running gear very carefully for rust and corrosion like the man said.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I've looked at them off and on for some time. That nice wide engine bay is just begging for a small American V8.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think the old Buick 215 would be a good choice; all aluminium, good power to weight ratio, and period correct, a slightly easier to come by option would be the Rover derived from the Buick. Of course I have odd taste.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I feel like we are getting off topic - I know a couple guys who have them and love them. I am pretty sure parts availability is good - at least for mechanicals. I know it shares some running gear with my Vauxhall. I would say the styling is somewhat of an acquired taste and while cars with Jensen in the name and Healey in the name tend to appreciate in value, this still seems a reasonably priced car.

I would say if the price is right and you like it - go for it - it is one of the most "modern" of Little British Cars - it doesn't have any fatal flaws that I am aware of.

keep us posted!

Answerman

Country flag
Well, I guess I know something about them since I have one :smile:

I've had mine for 3 years and would not trade it for any other LBC... it's in a class of its own. It is seriously the most fun to drive car I have ever been behind the wheel of. Pound for pound, it's the most powerful 4 cylinder LBC you could buy. Did I mention I love mine?

OK, let's see. 1974 is a good year, that will be a MkII which has most of the "Lotus trouble" worked out. 1972s and early 1973s had some issues relating to the untested Lotus engine, but they got them straightened out by the time the MkIIs came out. Problem spots are:

1. Find out when the timing belt was last changed. If it's been more than a few years or 12,000 miles, change it. It's a $30 investment and a couple hours of your time, and is really cheap insurance against the alternative of having it fail and being faced with a $3000 valve job (yes, it's an interference engine).

2. Look at the T fitting that splits the fuel hose from the tank to distribute to the two carbs. If it's plastic, replace it immediately with a metal on. Again, it's like a $3 part. The stock plastic tees fail rather easily, resulting in fuel leaking down onto the starter and distributor... two places you do NOT want to have fuel leaking. There were a lot of engine fires because of this part.

3. Rust. OK, all LBCs of the era suffer from it, but the Jensen-Healey has an even worse reputation than most. Look underneath the car at the floor pans, right behind the doors where the rear fender connects to the sill, and also the sills themselves. Due to some "interesting" ways of designing things, these spots rust very fast (mostly due to owners not keeping the weepholes cleaned out, which results in water just sitting in those crevices). The sill is a big concern because it's a major structural part of the car, and if it rusts badly there isn't much keeping the car from folding up. I would get down there with a magnet and whatever else you need to do to make sure that the metal is solid and not just "Bondo-ed" over.

Off the top of my head, those are the big things to look for. If it's really in as good of condition as you stated, it's a gem of a car and I wouldn't think twice before buying it. They are really easy to fix when things go wrong, and parts are not at all difficult to find (it sourced parts from several other British cars of the era, and I've never had trouble finding parts during my restoration).

Oh, by the way.... to really get the most out of the driving experience, keep this in mind: that 7000 RPM redline is not a warning, it's a goal :smile: Seriously, the Lotus 907 needs to be revved way higher than you're probably used to. There isn't a lot of torque at the low end, but she screams above 5000 RPM.

Answerman

Country flag
Oh, by the way, pay no attention to those people suggesting a V-8. Yes, I'm a purist, and a curmudgeon, but in my opinion the Lotus 907 is the whole reason the car is the gem it is. Take that engine out, and it's just another car (with "questionable" styling as someone said). The 907 MAKES the car. Ok, I said my piece.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've never owned one but I like the way Answerman answered.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Contact "jodyfkerr" here on the BCF - he's the one to ask.Also Delta Motorsport,in Arizona is the place to go for parts,etc.,or so I was told. - Doug

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well alta2017
Ifin you tell me where it is at I will get it and then let you know all about it. Honest.
:glee:

user-offline.png

Rovohn

Freshman Member
I have a GT,the lesser known version,same mechanicals,nicer dash and way more Wow!factor
attachment.php

Cheers,John

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 186

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Love that! there was one for sale close by here a couple years ago!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've a set of valve adjusting shims for a JH - interested?

- Doug

Answerman

Country flag
Hey Doug.. PM me about the shims. I'm always collecting potentially useful stuff for my Jensen Healey.