• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Less Welly Grommet!

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well spring is here...really it is, snow Saturday morning but I'm moving forward.
the MGB is running well I rebuit the h4 carbs in the fall. my issue is when i give it alot of "welly" it bogs.
i did replace the temperature sensor in the carbs last fall and stupidly fiddled with the adjustment screws, so should I put them all the way up or all the way down?
I have the carbs well balanced for once in my MG existence. and just solved a stuck float on the jag but that is anoughter story.

thanks
steve

P.S. its amazing how many britsh parts you can order while gettting Chemo.

Last edited:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

P.S. its amazing how many britsh parts you can order while gettting Chemo.

I can't offer any clues on the H4 carbs, but hope the chemo is going OK.....not fun I'm sure.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks, keeping focused on the car projects helps. looks like the move to Norway was worth it for the free health care.
my buddy Greg gets paid to drive me in the MGB to the hosptal plus the cost of gas.
im hoping to have the energy to rewire the B this summer and swap the steering to Left hand drive. I have the time but every thing wears me out. and i have to get the jag running, i think its just the starter moter.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good luck with the chemo -- hard stuff for sure.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yeah half way through treatment number 4, I've found good deal on a jag mk9, I'm resisting temtation. way too much time on my hands.

I guess ill adjust the carbs temp screw all the way down then tune the idle and see how that gose.
steve

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Steve, sorry indeed about the chemo. Re the carbs, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say carb temp screw? So far as I recall, there is an idle screw, a mixture nut (needle) and that is about it.

can you clarify? If you are talking about the mixture, screw it all the way up and then back down twelve flats and you should have a good strating point.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
on the Hif carbs its the jet adjusting screw ok that article says to raise it till its level, obvious now that I think about it. I shall try that when i get home from the hospital.
then its time to wack the jags starter motor.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok i think i got it.
i adusted the jets all the way up then slowly brought the choke down and the idle adjustments till it would run warm with no choke, took a test drive, then adjusted the jets down an the idle abit now I have power when I Give it a bit of Welly, i only tested second gear, this town loves its speed bumps, but I have two days till the long drive to the airport so I should have any supprises delt with by then,

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Thanks. I had tracked down welly on the net, but could find no grommet except in its most common usage. Curiously, when I googled the phrase in quotes, all that came up was one use on some weird board called British Car Forum. Thanks,
Bob

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. I had tracked down welly on the net, but could find no grommet except in its most common usage. Curiously, when I googled the phrase in quotes, all that came up was one use on some weird board called British Car Forum. Thanks,
Bob

weird indeed - sometimes the most obscure arcane things show up. who knew there was a forum for British Cars?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bob said:
...all that came up was one use on some weird board called British Car Forum.

Gotta love teh google-thingie!

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks
back now, home with my cat "the duchess of wellington" I feel like i have a bad hangover.
but the jag mk2 is running and ready for EU inspection.
still need to get the jets on the MGB just right, it still bogs, but its better. and can wait till I'm a little bit better.
and im trying to get a good 3D scan of my MGB dash so i can mill one out of wood. Ill post on that if i have any success.

yes if you're not for familiarize with "Wallace and gromit" your in for a treat they are worth watching no mater what your age. the hevey Lome setting on the A35 van windshield wiper settings, is hilarious.

Wallace: [as the BunVac 6000 labours] Sounds like a really big brute, this one. Give it some more welly.

steve