• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New 67 Elf

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Here are some pictures of the Elf I picked up Tuesday. I haven't had any time to mess with it yet. It was advertised as a "nice driver". It's pretty clean for it's age, and I don't intend to do much cosmetically. There are some rust bubbles from poor paint work. but the rest looks pretty solid.

I'm a Bugeye guy, but I've always wanted a Mini. The Elf seems like a nice fit.

OP
Brian_James

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
With pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 243

dklawson

Yoda
Very nice!
I have to ask... what is on the shift lever?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Very nice!
I have to ask... what is on the shift lever?

Rat Fink of course! Big Daddy Roth. Mind you I can't help but feel it is a touch ironic on an Elf. :smile: thanks said, lovely car - and has to be very rare.

OP
Brian_James

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It is a Rat Fink. I had to remove it because reverse and 4th are both below my knee. Previous owner had the California ELFINK license plate (according to her). Car was originally from New Zealand. It came to California via one of the Carolinas (North I think).

I took it for a spin today. It is fun, but needs some attention to the suspension, brakes and 9 year old tires replaced.
Brian

OP
Brian_James

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The Elf has been fun. I've been chipping away at issues over the last few weeks in my inordinate spare time. I've freshened up the brakes with new springs, shoes, lines, and a couple of wheel cylinders. The new tires required 3/8" spacers to clear, and new studs & lug nuts. I've got belts in the back to fit child seats for my 3&6 year old daughters. It's a little gutless (I drive a Bugeye, so I have a reference), and the compression is low (80-90) on three cylinders. Oil does not make a difference, so I suspect burnt valves. I have a rebuilt 948 head, but I need to make a provision for the temp sender. Once the new thermostat housing that will accommodate the temp sender arrives from Australia, I should be in business.

OP
Brian_James

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm still working on BUDYELF, and I have some questions for the Mini crowd. Budy is currently running a extremely anemic 998, with low compression across all 4 cylinders (~80-90).

I have sourced a rebuildable 1275 automatic trans engine. I've educated myself on what is required to make the auto>manual trans conversion, but I am wondering what parts I will need to make the 998>1275. Will the 998 flywheel work? Is there something besides the oil pump related modifications (oil pump spacer, bypass modification) that I will need to address? I'm a Bugeye guy (since 1983), and I'm well familiar with the 948 to 1275 process, but the "Mini" stuff is still new.

It was running dual HS2 with the most Micky Mouse linkage setup I've experienced. That has been sorted.

Thanks,
Brian

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Brian. I also live in San Diego. I don't think I have ever seen your Bugeye around these parts.
Where abouts in San Diego are you Located. I live in Bonita with an Old English White Bugeye and there are two red Bugeyes within spitting distance from me.

OP
Brian_James

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My Bugeye was my first car and daily driver from 83-88. It was all around UC, Claremont, Mira Mesa, and Mesa college. After that it was off the road for a long time. It spent a few years (in parts) in Tucson and Houston, before I got my act together and made it back to San Diego. I don't get it out often as it is not much of a family car and in addition to my wife, I have a 3 and 6 year old daughter. The Elf is supposed to be the family car... I'm more likely to drive it to work, than drive it on a weekend.

I'm in Carmel Valley now. I had it at British car day near Seaport Village last year. I've driven it to work, but I don't get many chances to use it with the kids.

Brian