• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Beast of Turin

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's great that that beast is on the road again. I'd love to see it drive in person.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wonder what the compression is on the engine? At 28.5 liters for a four-banger, those pistons must be the size of paint cans. Even the vaunted Merlin V-12 from World War II was "only" 26 liters.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I did the calculations a while back. Each cylinder was just shy of 435 cubic inches. MOOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that car!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep... 7.1 liters per cylinder. Imagine a 2 liter Coke bottle times well over 3!!!
In the second video (thanks for that) I swear you're looking right into the camber tops!

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
During that period most were pretty low.

That's what I figured. IIRC a 4:1 compression engine was considered "high compression" in the early days...so you needed a LOT of cubic inches to get something to move fast.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had seen the earlier video - I just love that these cars are being driven and not just displayed!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Wonderful!

I love all the old "specials" like this. :encouragement:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Beast is something of an understatement.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Even when they hit about 60mph on that private road on the Goodwood Estate, you could nearly count the exhaust puffs!
All that energy through a chain drive to relatively small wheels... wouldn't want to be wearing a scarf (ala Isadora Duncan)!!! :playful:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Love to see those exhausts at night....

Agree. I no longer run the old Summit Point 4-Hour night enduro, but I would see stuff ~LIKE THIS~ all the time. Always cool!

Also, you would see everyone's brake rotors glowing.

This very fuzzy night shot is of my car at that event almost 10 years ago. At the end of the main straight all the cars would be spitting fire from the exhaust.

sprite-after-dark.jpg

ghosteh

Freshman Member
I absolutely LOVE that car, and what great videos they made to feature it! What an amazing machine!

Here's our beast. It's no Fiat, but it's still a handful.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Agreed! we need more!!! Maybe a post dedicated to it!!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
The good old days... Definitely some neat machinery in this thread, nothing I'll ever see in person, sadly...