• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Big AH photo-NY Times

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's a photo that was in ~THIS~ article in the NY Times today.

I've never watched this TV show so I have no idea how the car is connected to it.

29MADMENJP5-master675.jpg

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Coincidentally, my wife and I have just started watching this series. We're about halfway through the first season; no Healey yet!

Keith

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Neither the hat or the hair would look like that even halfway down the block. Nice look though..

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm a big fan of Mad Men. Earlier in the series, one of the episodes featured an E-type. In the episode, advertising exec Don Draper is in a Jaguar showroom looking over the cars, then taking the E-type out for a spin. As he is driving it he says to his passenger friend that he doesn't know what the big deal is about these cars...that they do nothing for him. Hopefully the Healey makes a better impression on him.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Despite their best attempts at period-correct clothing and hair style, they still succumbed to the fashion of age in which they - the current Hollywood producers - are living: She is driving.

Stopped watching Mad Men at the beginning of season 5. The first Healey scene is where (IIRC) Don gets picked up at Burbank or LA airport by his girlfriend or wife in her BJ7 or 8. It's her car. Basic point still true, however - in those days, the guy often drove even if his date had a hot car.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Speaking of hairdos not surviving a trip in a Healey, reminds me of the time in college when I double dated with another couple to a formal dance. The girls spent most of the afternoon getting their hair just right, but after a 30 minute trip at highway speeds, their hair was a mess. Of course it didn't help that the other couple sat in the jump seats with their heads at least a two feet above the wind shield. Obviously no top. I tried to convince myself that the girls were so happy to ride in a Healey, that they didn't mind. I may have been wrong about that.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I am down here in Phoenix watching what they call TV or better looking for something to watch on TV.
All of a sudden a program shows a a used classic car dealer show room and there was a Grey BJ7/8 ? and a red 100 do not know what the show was or the channel i was just surfing.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
AS I recall in the series of shows featuring the Jag, one of the characters tries to commit suicide by running the E-type in his garage, but it doesn't start. But my favorite scene is when they are getting the Jaguar account and they end up in a New York city Jag showroom, very drool worthy.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It could be my car , same color just the wheels are not mine . I have the Dayton chrome 72 spoke on mine .

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In my high school there were a bunch of girls who owned cool British sports cars, including a Morgan, E Type, MG Midget, MG TD and a TR4 among others, and they all did their own driving. That said, these days I often see men drive to the train station with their wives in the passenger seat. At the drop-off curb the husband and wife both get out of the car, the husband walks to the platform and the wife then drives the car home. I guess some things never change.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
In my high school there were a bunch of girls who owned cool British sports cars, including a Morgan, E Type, MG Midget, MG TD and a TR4 among others, and they all did their own driving. That said, these days I often see men drive to the train station with their wives in the passenger seat. At the drop-off curb the husband and wife both get out of the car, the husband walks to the platform and the wife then drives the car home. I guess some things never change.

Wow, that's some high school! Thinking back to my high school days, I can't recall even one girl who drove to school. For that matter, not a lot of the guys did either, and it was a big school at almost 3,000 of us students. I really doubt that more than 25 students drove to school, and it seems like it was more in the range of 10 or so. And no British cars at all, except for the MGA very occasionally driven by one of the teachers.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I was in Law School I had a 1965 Porsche 356 SC--one of the cars I wish I had kept.
Though it was quite underpowered and did have unique handling it was a pleasure to drive, esp. on the highway.

westcirque

Freshman Member
I'm an avid Mad Men fan. The BJ8 above was from Season 7 Episode 1 when Megan picks up Don at LAX. The fact that she drove was a subtle part of the plot line. It was supposed to be emasculating, as the song "I'm a Man" plays. Worth downloading if you haven't seen it.

Regarding the fake Jaguar account in Season 5, the sexist tagline they come up with is awesome: "Jaguar: At last, something beautiful you can truly own".

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My BJ8 is the very car I drove to High School. Lots of kids drove, mostly clunkers or muscle cars, but mine was easily the coolest. I did not want to park in the student's lot (they tended to lay on cars and lean on them), so I parked in the teacher's lot. About once a month the narc would come up to homeroom and tell me to move my car. I would move it over to the student lot for the day, then return to the teacher's lot. He eventually got off my case. This was in 1980/81, by the way.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It's fun to think back what some of us had "back in the day".

I graduated from high school in 1968 and attended a rural high school in south/central New Jersey. We had a Senior class of about 100 people.

I drove to school regularly in my MGA roadster (assuming I was able to get it started).
We had a little rock band back then and Sam, another band member, drove his MGA coupe to school on most days. After high school he bought a Sunbeam Tiger. He has a Spitfire these days.
My old pal, Charlie Seymour drove a 1098 Sprite. He ended up as my college roommate; many folks involved with old Castrol F1 support team from the 80s would know Charlie.
My chemistry teacher, Mr. Telmos, drove an Austin-Healey 3000. He sold it when he emigrated to Australia in '69.
My other pal, Bob drove a flathead Anglia (with real "aplomb" I might add).
My classmate, Bruce, drove an 1147 Spitfire. He was hands down, the best driver of all of us in our "informal races" back then.
One of the Senior girls, Kathy, drove an 850 Mini.
A Junior girl who I was friendly with often drove her Dad's Morgan to school.
My classmate Warren, who I still see all the time had an Austin 1100 (he eventually moved on to Japanese cars and build a Celica with Ford V8).
Another classmate, Jerry, had a Peugeot 403 painted with flowers, but I don't think that really counts as cool.

So out of maybe 75 kids who drove to school, we had a surprising number of interesting cars.

Last edited:
Country flag
I drove a 1931 Model A to high school and JC. Cable brakes--i.e. hardly any brakes--manual timing advance, 3 speeds and, IIRC, no synchros and all of about, oh, 50 horsepower. To this day I think it was the best driving instruction I ever got.