• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My 100 is being auctioned in Ft. Lauderdale next Saturday March 28th

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Here's the link to the Auctions America (part of RM) auction in Ft Lauderdale if you'd like to see it:

https://www.auctionsamerica.com/eve...rder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

The car's been a great companion since I bought it in 1981. I did a full restoration (1000 hours) over the next five years and freshened it the past three years. It's been a good show car and then a Sunday driver. The only time it failed me is when the battery cut-off switch failed and shorted the coil to ground. Took about a half hour on the side of the road to find that one. I had to beat off with a stick the folks who wanted to help!

It's time to move on but I hope it goes to a good home.

Last edited:
OP
AH100M

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Will do.

The only auctions I've seen have been the Mecums and Barrett-Jacksons on television (plus the snippets of Goodings on CCC) and the recent Amelia Island RM/Sotheby's streaming . I expect the Auctions America one to be between those poles in general feel (neither a circus nor a polite tea). We'll see.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
... It would be interesting if you could fill us in on your experience with the auction process once it's done.

I sold a TR4 at the Bonhams auction in Scottsdale in January. I tried to sell a Series 1 XKE Coupe in the Russo and Steele auction that same week, but it didn't meet reserve.

I've been to a lot of car auctions but this gave me a new perspective. Actually it just emphasized some things that I already knew. A couple of my "takeaways" are:

1. Craziness plays a major role. That is, random chance, whim, the weather in Dubai, etc. It's hard to predict randomosity. Making big money - or even breaking even - selling a car at auction is far from guaranteed. You hear about all of the high-dollar sales, which is why everyone with a beater-driver BJ8 thinks it's "worth" $50-75k, but there are plenty of sales at less-than-spectacular dollar figures, and the cars getting the big bucks aren't personalized cars with 20-year old restorations.

2. The bidding crowd is highly suggestible. Some years ago two idiots (and I mean that in the kindest possible way) got into a bidding war over an Amphicar of all things, which has the distinction of being a terrible car and a terrible boat. Shortly thereafter a bunch of "collectors" decided that they wanted to be cool too, and bid them up to really stupid prices. They've fallen back, but they're still stupid-expensive considering what you're getting. Are you really going to try to enter one in the Colorado Grand? Then microcars enjoyed their flavor-of-the-month status for a while, and a bunch of people paid way too much for these unusable "conversation pieces." This year the Toyota FJ40 was cool. It's ugly, slow, does not represent any milestone of technology, doesn't have an interesting place in history, doesn't have a competition record, no celebrity ownership, not rare, but all of a sudden the more-money-than-brains crowd thinks they're cool. Still don't believe me that these people are suggestible? Have you checked early 911 prices lately? Glorified VeeDubs for six figures. I picture the scene of someone getting in his $250,000 early 911 for his first drive, and discovering that it sounds like an old Beetle, it accelerates like a 948cc Sprite, and it has treacherous handling. But, with as much as he paid he absolutely has to rave about it to his fellow suggestible, non-thinking "collectors." And so it goes.

I'm having lunch with Keith Martin in a few hours. I'll pick his brain about Amelia Island and see if he will spill the beans about where the idiots (er, I mean, "collectors") are taking their money next. How about rubber-bumper-era cars? I mean, c'mon, they're cool! Right?

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I always enjoy reading Reid's contributions, but sometimes I can't figure out how he truly feels about certain things, such as in this case FJ's and 911's... :fat:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I always enjoy reading Reid's contributions, but sometimes I can't figure out how he truly feels about certain things, such as in this case FJ's and 911's... :fat:

As an old boss of mine used to say, "Candor is crucial."

And remember the Army's ABCs of writing and briefing:
Accuracy
Brevity
Clarity

Old habits die hard. I don't waste a lot of space with euphemisms and sugar-coating :wink-new:

OP
AH100M

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
If you get the chance to talk to Keith (tell him first that I've been a SCM subscriber since the Alfa Romeo days!) ask him if he has any particular insight or advice about the Auctions America Ft Lauderdale auction. My car is being picked up tomorrow and I'll be at the auction next Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I won't be taking the car back home on Sunday...

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Good luck Bill - beautiful Healey and know you will miss it !!! Be interesting to see how the auction goes and your experience with the whole process.
Regards
Mike

OP
AH100M

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
In defense of early 911s; the 948cc Sprite had a 0-60 time of a bit over 20 sec. The early 911 (2 liter engine, 1964-69) was tick over 8 sec. The 2.2 911S (1970-71) did it in 7 sec flat.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gotta love a car you can actually use as a daily driver in the real world without worry in parking lots. :wink:

Gotta agree. I was so tempted to bid on the nice yellow rubber bumpered MGB that was auctioned on Bring a Trailer recently. Not only because it was in beautiful condition, but because you could just drive the dang thing and not worry about it.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I sold a TR4 at the Bonhams auction in Scottsdale in January. I tried to sell a Series 1 XKE Coupe in the Russo and Steele auction that same week, but it didn't meet reserve.

I've been to a lot of car auctions but this gave me a new perspective. Actually it just emphasized some things that I already knew. A couple of my "takeaways" are:

1. Craziness plays a major role. That is, random chance, whim, the weather in Dubai, etc. It's hard to predict randomosity. Making big money - or even breaking even - selling a car at auction is far from guaranteed. You hear about all of the high-dollar sales, which is why everyone with a beater-driver BJ8 thinks it's "worth" $50-75k, but there are plenty of sales at less-than-spectacular dollar figures, and the cars getting the big bucks aren't personalized cars with 20-year old restorations.

2. The bidding crowd is highly suggestible. Some years ago two idiots (and I mean that in the kindest possible way) got into a bidding war over an Amphicar of all things, which has the distinction of being a terrible car and a terrible boat. Shortly thereafter a bunch of "collectors" decided that they wanted to be cool too, and bid them up to really stupid prices. They've fallen back, but they're still stupid-expensive considering what you're getting. Are you really going to try to enter one in the Colorado Grand? Then microcars enjoyed their flavor-of-the-month status for a while, and a bunch of people paid way too much for these unusable "conversation pieces." This year the Toyota FJ40 was cool. It's ugly, slow, does not represent any milestone of technology, doesn't have an interesting place in history, doesn't have a competition record, no celebrity ownership, not rare, but all of a sudden the more-money-than-brains crowd thinks they're cool. Still don't believe me that these people are suggestible? Have you checked early 911 prices lately? Glorified VeeDubs for six figures. I picture the scene of someone getting in his $250,000 early 911 for his first drive, and discovering that it sounds like an old Beetle, it accelerates like a 948cc Sprite, and it has treacherous handling. But, with as much as he paid he absolutely has to rave about it to his fellow suggestible, non-thinking "collectors." And so it goes.

I'm having lunch with Keith Martin in a few hours. I'll pick his brain about Amelia Island and see if he will spill the beans about where the idiots (er, I mean, "collectors") are taking their money next. How about rubber-bumper-era cars? I mean, c'mon, they're cool! Right?

10 or 12 years ago it was my position that the early 1970s 911s were greatly undervalued. They were priced at $15,000 to $20,000 for a nice example at the time. I told people who were thinking about buying a classic sports car to consider any of the 1973 911s. I wish I had taken my own advice.

OP
AH100M

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
The car was picked up this morning for the trip to Ft Lauderdale. The first time I've been without the car in 35 years. We'll reunite at the auction next Thursday.
DSC07465.jpgDSC07469.jpg

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
At lunch yesterday, Keith Martin said he'd be at the auction. I mentioned your name and long-term subscription, but he couldn't place you. He did say that he'd probably see you at the auction. He asked me to be on the lookout for a big Healey for him, for his personal use. He owned a BT7 in 2002 that he drove from Portland to the huge meet named "OpenRoads" at Lake Tahoe that year. I think he's more focused on a six-cylinder big Healey, and while I doubt he'd bid on one in an auction (he's not looking for a freshly restored car that brings in a top-dollar price at an auction), you never know. He has bought cars at auction before.

OP
AH100M

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Reid. There are going to be five 6 cyl Healeys at the auction, one at no reserve. I'll say hello to Keith for you if I see him.

In the transporter going to the auction this morning along with my car was an MGTF, an MGTB, a Vespa (car!) and a Buick woody. Quite an assortment.

mrunci

Country flag
Bill:
This is a lovely car. Wish you the best of luck with the upcoming sale. I've always enjoyed meeting other long term Healey owners who continue to enjoy driving their cars while at the same time finding opportunities (both small and large) to improve them in some respect through the years.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Matt