• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Float valves for HD8 - Grose Type

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
I need to replace the float valves in my HD8s. Moss lists two types: Viton and Grose Type, with Grose Type noted as 'superior replacement' (part number 386-390). Has anyone tried the Grose Type, and are they actually superior?
thanks
steve

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Has anyone tried the Grose Type,

I have been using them since year one in my BJ8's

and are they actually superior?

Definitely they solved the flooding leaking etc problems associated with my HD8 carbs

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've had Grosse Jets in my BJ8 for many years and they worked fine; no flooding, sticking, etc. However, tried them in our BN2 and one of them would stick, the small ball apparently stuck in its hole (can't think of the correct term to use here ... 'cradle,' 'notch' ... ?). I heard the company was sold and quality had dropped, but when they work they work well.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I installed them years ago and there have been no problems. I'm a fan.

bj8bn2

Silver
Country flag
I put Grose valves on my BJ8 about 12 years ago and have had ZERO issues. However, I installed Grose jets on my BN1 a few months ago and one of the valves never sealed properly. I took them both out and put the Viton valves in and now all is good. I recall reading that others have had issues with the new Grose jets. Based on my recent experience, I would not recommend them.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My dad has some info on a 'Dayton' float valve. Instead of the conical tip/seat or a couple steel balls, it seats a flat surface against a raised circular hole. Looks like a good idea; anyone know if they're available for Healeys?

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
I installed these and they seem to work quite well. No issues. I inspected the ones they replaced (which leaked) and I can't actually See anything wrong with the old ones (Viton, I believe), so there was either something else wrong or there were imperfections in the Viton not visible to the eye, yet large enough to cause leaking. In any case, the Grose Type appear to work quite well.

JAV

Silver
Country flag
Received from Daytona,

John! Sorry, but at this time we do not make any of our Daytona Float Valves for SU applications. These are in the works, but it may be a few months before they are in production. Please check back with us at a later time.
Thank You!
RON
DAYTONA PARTS COMPANY

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Received from Daytona,

John! Sorry, but at this time we do not make any of our Daytona Float Valves for SU applications. These are in the works, but it may be a few months before they are in production. Please check back with us at a later time.
Thank You!
RON
DAYTONA PARTS COMPANY

I wrote them a couple years ago and got the same reply.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I just called them and don't hold your breath. He did say if someone is nearby, they may be willing to see if one of their existing valves could be made to work.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I missed this thread originally but saw it today. What a revelation - I have what I now believe are a pair of the Daytona valves. They were in a pair of HD6 carbs on a Healey I bought in 1987. I had never seen anything like them and never knew where they came from/who made them. I used those same valves for 20 years and never had a single issue - I love them. A few years ago I changed to a triple HD6 set up and had to go with the viton tapered since I needed three and only have the pair.
The pair I have may have been made by someone else (no markings on them), but they are exactly as the website shows. One advantage not mentioned is that the small rubber 'puck' is just a snug fit in the aluminum 'needle'. After several years in the carbs I noticed a small depression ring had formed in the 'puck' where it seats against the flare in the valve body - I just flipped the pucks over and had a fresh flat surface to seat against. When I next had them apart a few years later, I found the previously grooved side had flattened out, so I flipped them again.
I bet I have shown/talked about mine to at least 50 people over the years at the races and no one had any guesses where they came from. Based on my experience, these are the best valves I have ever had and if they are available, I will be getting some more.
Thank you for enlightening me. This place is truly a great source of info.
Dave

Last edited:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In case no one noticed, I am quite excited at solving a 25 year mystery.... So I went out and pulled a float top off and took some pictures, You can clearly see by the wear on the aluminum hex that they have been in service a while.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Imported Photos 00001.jpg
    Imported Photos 00001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Imported Photos 00010.jpg
    Imported Photos 00010.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 139
  • Imported Photos 00008.jpg
    Imported Photos 00008.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 136

IanF

Jedi Trainee
Those are carb rebuild kits, not Daytona Float Valves. Unfortunately.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
red57,

That's very interesting. Perhaps email them and include those pictures. Maybe they will recognize them as theirs or modified versions.

Personally, I'm not opposed to buying a set and modifying them if necessary.

Additionally, when I talked to the guy, he didn't seem to think there was a market for "that import stuff". I tried to convince him otherwise, but he said there are other projects in the pipe ahead of these. Maybe if enough of us call/email them, these could get made.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have never seen a jet like red57 pictured it must be a very early version if it is a Grose???

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Maybe it would be possible to order the Daytonas by size.

Moss sells the same Grose jet PN for all carbs BN1 - BJ8 - therefore the HD8 jet dimensions are good for all:

Threads - 1/4-28 x 3/16" deep. Total height of jet not counting threaded portion - 3/4". Jet metering hole - 3/32" D.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FloatNeedles.JPG
    FloatNeedles.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 112