• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Reverse Light

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Hello all,

Does someone know if the factory optional TR3 reverse light, 502251, was one and the same as the Lucas L494 lamp, part # 52671? Was it mounted under and to one of the overrider brackets? Does anyone have a photo? Have only seen one in Piggott's book. It was round like a mini-spot lamp - not at all like a rectangular L494 - and was attached to the side of the left overrider itself.

Regards,

Walter

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As far as I know, reverse lights were dealer installed. Most of those I have seen back in the 50s and 60s were rectangular and were operated by a pull switch on the left side of the dash. Switch was similar to early OD switches. Not aware of this being a factory option but I am frequently wrong (just ask my wife).
IMG_3189m.jpg

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Joe,

The one you picture has a shape similar to the L494. I probably should correct myself to say "factory listed accessory." There is one listed in the original parts book but I agree that doesn't mean the factory installed them. Thanks.

Walter

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe P/N 502251 included one L494 lamp, but also included the mounting bracket(s) and wiring. Some poking around on Google turned up this image, which I believe actually shows it installed on a TR3. Since it is a generic kit, it probably only had a switch on the dash and was not operated by the gearshift.

502251 Reversing Lamp.jpg

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Randall,

Thanks very much for this. It begs the question, though, was there a TR2/3 specific kit which looked a bit different bracket wise, and which would have been hooked up to the transmission switch. If I understand correctly, direct wiring to gearbox capability was utilized...sometimes. Also, currently there is at least one Ebay vendor claiming that one L494 was mounted in hanging mode from the "bumper"; of course talking about a number of applications between TR, MG,A-H, etc. Might have looked better than that lamp sticking out to the side...

Regards,

Walter

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would think it was a switch on the transmission as even my '49 Roadster had a reverse light switch on the steering shifter, very crude but there all the same.
I put in a 454 in the middle, hanging from the frame. I did double ones on a TR4A hanging off the rear uprights, great look, much better than the little ones on the 250, which were just below the tail lights, typical period light leaving a lot to be desired.

Wayne

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
502251 is the only part number shown in the factory parts catalogue; and as the ad above clearly states, it fit several different cars. Obviously it could be wired through a transmission switch; the early transmissions were even tapped for a reverse light switch (same switch used for overdrive lockout, just mounted above the reverse rail). But I rather doubt that the kit included the transmission switch unless perhaps it just happened that the same switch would fit the Standard Pennant, etc.

Equally obviously, it could be mounted however the installer wanted it. But the bracket shown is probably the one it came with.

But of course I am just guessing. Feel free to prove me wrong!

BTW, here's an old post I found by John Macartney, who used to work as a salesman for Standard-Triumph

https://www.team.net/archive/triumphs/2011-12/msg00188.html

He says that the switch used was similar to this

0-597-07-white-illuminated-on-off-single-pole-push-pull-switch-10a-3458-p.jpg

https://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-59...ff-single-pole-push-pull-switch-10a-3458.html

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
No, I think you are quite right, Randall. Found below quote from old UK regs on this UK TR Register thread:
https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/45324-fitting-reversing-light/

"NEW regulations on reversing lights came into force on November 1. They require that no vehicle shall carry more than two such lights.
A reversing light must be electric and must be operated either automatically by the selection of reverse gear or by a switch. In a vehicle first registered on or after July 1, 1954, the switch must be exclusively for the reversing light. In other vehicles the switch may have some other function as well.
The total power of each reversing light must not exceed 24W. The light must not dazzle anyone who is standing more than 25 ft. away on the same level as the vehicle and whose eye-level is at least 3 ft. 6 in. from the ground.
In a vehicle first registered after July 1, 1954, and having a switch operated reversing light, a signal readily visible to the driver at all times when he is in his seat must be fitted to warn him that the light is illuminated.
The light must be used only for reversing.
These powers are contained in the Road Vehicles Lighting (Reversing Lights) Regulations, 1953."

This would explain the need for the above lighted switch that John Macartney recalled, although the mandated minimum 3ft. 6 in. seems pretty high for a TR light of any kind. That thread also contains a similarly interesting discussion as to positioning of the reversing light.

Thanks again, Randall! And thanks also, Wayne. Your solution is consistent with some of those on the UK thread. Now if I could only see one of those original 502251 kit brackets more clearly...

Regards,

Walter

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Walter, I can tell you that there was a listing for the light and bracket in the Viicky Brit Catalog many years ago, near the back with the rest of the lights.
If I can find one in my junk, I'll get the madam to get a picture and post.

Wayne

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, Wayne. Would appreciate anything you find. I know it is not in the current edition anymore.

Regards,

Walter

croz

Country flag
During the rebuild we installed a TR4 gearbox with an A type OD - saving the original TR3 transmission for the next guy. It's nice to have synchro in 1st and the OD. Another bonus was that the transmission was tapped for a reverse light switch so I went ahead and used it.
The light is mounted about the same level as the exhaust pipes. Only bothersome when approaching a steep incline.

P1020320 edit resize.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks good!

But that location wouldn't work for me, even the tailpipe drags the ground if I don't hit the driveway just right. Be a shame to mess up the beautiful reproduction lamp I got. So I'm going to mount it as shown in the ad page above.

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Croz. It does look nice and I am also looking to hook up my repro light to the switch like you did, but will have to drill and tap the extra switch hole. I like how your light is out of the way and not cluttering other items but have to agree with Randall. I would be too paranoid about getting it knocked off. The MGA Guru site shows that car with one slung under the bumper, but then MGA's have the full rear bumper, the center bar of which is higher than it's overriders; arguably a more compatible arrangement for add-on lights.

Regards,

Walter

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Randall,

Did you find any more detail on that bracket in the old kit picture you sent, or are you thinking of a different setup?

Walter

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, no. But it looks to be simple enough, just a strip of flat metal with a twist and the other end secured to one of the bumperette mounting bolts, plus a clip to hold the lamp lead to the strip.

What I have found is another pamphlet, showing the lamp apparently mounted directly through the side of the bumperette.

untitled.jpg~original

This pamphlet appears to be dated Sept 56, even though the drawing clearly shows the early TR2 tail light arrangement with the rectangular glass lenses and reflector hanging below.

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
It's also a bit generous in depicting the space between the bumperette and the rear fender bulge. The Lucas logo would be sideways but then the repros only have a decal anyway. Mine has already started to peel. Horizontally, - also more optimistically depicted in the earlier illustration - I am guessing the light would have to stick out far enough to become the de facto bumper.

But then, I don't think the British were at the forefront of human factors and accessory design integration....however, they wouldn't be as much fun otherwise.