Making piles of piles
by, 01-01-2017 at 10:55 AM (638 Views)
Had a day to spend on the sprites. Worked on identifying system components and parts of sub-assemblies. Began with water circulation system and listing all the parts that needed to be replaced. Rubber and gaskets are sort of a given for replacement. Soon the lure of the engine was too powerful to resist and I pulled the pan off the 15 year old rebuild to check the condition of the crank and cam. They looked good with no rust on the vital surfaces. So I sprayed the interior with a light oil and closed up the pan again.
Turning to the head which had the finished surface covered with tape to protect it, I searched for the rocker arm assembly among the boxes of parts. I found it nestled in one of the valve covers I have. This valve cover had a black plastic cap which matched the drawings in shop manual for this 1098 cc engine. I soon discovered that the rocker arms (the pressed rather than cast type) were incorrectly reassembled and will require disassembly and reassembly to use.
Looking at a margarine tub containing bearing halves and lifters I checked the block and found lifters in place but was unable to determine if they were movable or stuck in place. Applied misting oil and will check them again when I can get back to the engine.
Moving to the steering and front suspension I found the assembly to be in good shape and complete save the anti-roll bar which I found among the piles of parts. There is light rust on the spindle and disc assemblies but they turn freely and the calipers have new (15 years ago) pads and clips. The shroud for the steering column above the dash has not been installed but I found two of them in my collection of parts.
Long way to go. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.