View RSS Feed

JimLaney

  1. Rats' Nests

    Spent five hours today going through boxes of smaller boxes and shredded styrofoam mixed with sticks, nuts and hulls, and what looked like insulation fibers all accumulated over the last 17 years in storage. Seeking treasures, I braved the strong smell of rat urine and other waste products opening every little box of 3.5" DD DS diskettes, labeled and not, today I was seeking rocker arm adjustment screws and nuts. At last I located them and dropped them into a small jar of apple cider vinegar ...
    Tags: restoration
    Categories
    restoration process
  2. Like a piece of jewlery

    The rocker arm assembly and push rods are cleaned and polished. covered with fogging oil and wrapped in oily cloth. Looks like jewelery. Still have to get the tappets out and cleaned up of their surface rust. Also have to locate the screw adjusters for the rocker arms and clean them up. Light weight surgery slowed me up but I'm on the way back to "my normal". Encouraged by success with the rocker arms and shaft.

    ...

    Updated 07-05-2017 at 11:58 AM by JimLaney (add photo - found adjusters)

    Tags: restoration
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Progress at a snail's pace

    Since the last post the wheels have been media blasted, primed, and painted with Ford silver wheel paint and clear coated. 5 tires (needed a spare), Kumho SOLUS TA11 Tire 155/80R13 79T mounted and balanced. In mounting the wheels on the car there were two studs that no nut I had would thread all the way flush to secure the wheel to the front right spindle. There are 33 wheel nuts and any of them would thread up snug on 14 of the 16 studs. Naturally this was not evident until mounting the last wheel. ...
    Categories
    restoration process
  4. Sometimes you do what you just want to...

    Sorting through old cardboard boxes filled with rat nesting material and dead insects, I decided to do something that interested me more than old rusted and greasy small parts. So I took an SU apart and soaked the larger castings in a bucket of carb cleaner.

    When I opened the gallon can of cleaner after two days, the castings were still black but they wiped up with the help of toothbrushes and old tee-shirts. I was forced to smile. Renewal is a powerful effect. I can see the assembled ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Dodged a bullet and made a find

    I managed to come to my senses and did not look at the third Sprite. A review of the posted photos showed me that I would have about the same quality pile of parts, just a larger pile.

    Spent a day in the shop and just for the fun of it I tore down an SU and put it in the soak. Can't wait to get back to it and really clean it up for the rebuild kit.

    I found a lot of small parts bags from 15 years ago when the original owner was attempting to repair/rebuild the initial MK ...
    Categories
    restoration process
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast