PDA

View Full Version : Wire wheels?

bugster
03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
About to finish restoration of my '60 Bugeye and am looking for input on minilites vs wire wheels to replace my worn out wires.

LarryK
03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
The Panasports will look more racer style and have less maintenance, easier to clean and less likely to leak over time. If you show it in Concours check with local club to see what points would be deducted for non-OEM wheels. I like the Panasport look and give thumbs up for them. If you want to keep the knock-off look that would be great.

bugster
03-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks Larry. I had been sold on the Panasports up until about a week ago and saw a black BE with chrome wires and it looked stunning. I've had my BE painted the Healey Ice Blue and thought chrome wires would look great, but so would the Panasports. This is my third Healey with painted wires ('59 100-6, '54 100-4), so maybe it's time for a change! I had always figured on the knock-offs with the Panasports, but like the non-eared (don't know what they're called) look too. So many decisions . . . Just happy I'm finally getting close.

jimbooth019
03-10-2013, 07:01 AM
I love the look of wire wheels. That being said, they are heavier than stock steel wheels - heavier wheels is a deterrent to good handling - unsprung weight. But I say go for what you like. I think a frogeye with wires is pretty good looking. :)