PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Information on value of 1953 BN1 Austin Healey

bngsdist
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I may be interested in a 1953 Austin Healey BN1 which was restored a number of years ago by a knowledgeable collector. The frame, engine are original and every detail of the car was kept as original as possible by the owner, which I appreciate, even the piping in the interior upholstery. The car and undercarriage are in miticulous condition, although it has not been driven regularly for some time.

The car does have an oil leak from the engine/transmission area although it has very low mileage, and the tires are more than 7 years old, and I feel should be should be replaced before any further use.

1) Can anyone guide or tell me in this market, what is the approximate $ value (interval of value) of this car?

2) I like the styling of the 1st generation 2-seater Healeys. Would I be better to wait for a 1956 Healey, which has the 4-speed transmission as opposed to an earlier model which has the 3-speed? Which is more collectible, and which is a better investment in the long run?

Thank you,

bngsdist

Marvin Gruber
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Go for the BN1, the 3 speed versus the 4 speed is no issue. Value is dependent on the condition. 100/4's bring good money. I hesitate to give value without seeing car. If it is complete and drivable, its worth a minimum starting price of $10k US.

Tedders
08-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Go for the BN1, the 3 speed versus the 4 speed is no issue. Value is dependent on the condition. 100/4's bring good money. I hesitate to give value without seeing car. If it is complete and drivable, its worth a minimum starting price of $10k US.

BN1- had a 4 speed gear box with the 1st gear blanked out-was to slow, but was needed for Austin Taxis & trucks. So Austin added the Laycock de Normanville overdrive to the 2nd & third gears. look on the Velocity network as a Healey went for auction for over $ 40,000 usd.

Healeysince59
09-01-2014, 11:04 AM
For what it's worth, Hagerty gives the average price at $35571 with a condition 3 at $31k and a condition 2 at $53.4k.

mk31755
09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
explain to our rookie friend what condition two and three means. If I were going to buy a 53 Healey I would take a trusted knowledgeable person along to inspect the car. Most people will tell you all the attributes of their car and leave out the negative aspects. What are your expectations? Are you just looking for a driver on a nice sunny day? Are you looking for a car you can enter into a concours competition? All Healeys leak oil. You will probably be wise to change all the fluids and check the brakes and clutch. Does the overdrive work? How was the car stored? Have an expert eye look at the car before you buy it so you know what you are buying.

Now that I'm looking at this more closely the original post was form 2012. Why is this just being posted in the classified section??? It's not April Fools Day is it?